The 39-year-old Milwaukee, Wisconsin man who drove his SUV through a Christmas parade in Waukesha killing 5 people and injuring dozens more, never should have been in a position to do so. Darrell E. Brooks Jr. has a criminal record that dates back to 1999.
Brooks Jr., has been charged with numerous violent felonies and had an active arrest warrant in Nevada for failure to obey sex offender laws. In 2006 Brooks was convicted of having consensual sex with a 15-year-old and conceiving a child with the young woman.
Brooks jumped bail and never appeared in court. Earlier this month Brooks was arrested for running a woman over with the same red SUV he drove during his killing spree. He was released from prison on a mere $1,000 bail.
Brooks drove his car through the Waukesha Christmas Parade on Sunday, leaving five people dead, 48 individuals injured including two children who are still in critical condition. Brooks, the lone suspect, will be charged with five counts of first-degree intentional homicide and other offenses, according to police chief Dan Thompson.
“There is no evidence that this is a terrorist incident,” Chief Thompson said. “We have no information that Brooks knew anybody from the parade.”
One officer discharged his firearm to try to stop the suspect, but did not strike Brooks or any bystanders.
“He drove right through the barricades and the officers,” Chief Thompson said. “When an officer tried to engage and stop the threat, he still continued through the crowd.
Waukesha Fire Chief Steve Howard described the “carnage” that first responders saw as they provided medical aid to the injured.
“What stands out in my mind from our conversations, we do have people with military backgrounds and they likened it to a war zone,” Howard said.
Thompson noted that residents also immediately started working with first responders to triage victims and transport them to local hospitals.
“Minutes after the incident occurred, I responded to the scene, and what I saw out of chaos and tragedy, was heroes,” Thompson said.
The five deceased victims are 81-year-old Wilhelm Hospel, 79-year-old Virginia Sorenson, 71-year-old LeAnna Owen, 52-year-old Tamara Durand, and 52-year-old Jane Kulich.
You may like
50-Foot Christmas Tree Outside Fox News Set on Fire by 49yr Old Homeless Man
Just before 12:15 am Wednesday morning, an arsonist set fire to the 50-foot tree in front of Fox News’ Midtown headquarters on 6th avenue. The suspect, a 49-year-old with three prior arrests, was quickly caught and taken into custody.
The man has two previous arrests for drug possession and one for public intoxication. The motive is unclear, and Police Commissioner Dermot Shea said detectives are looking into whether mental illness was a factor.
“The suspect is identified as 49-year-old Craig Tamanaha, who is homeless, with a last known address in Brooklyn” reports ABC 7 New York. Police said the suspect climbed up “the metal superstructure” underneath the artificial tree and lit papers he had brought with him on fire, then shoved the papers into the tree structure.
He then climbed down and watched from the street level as it burned, and he was spotted by building security who pointed the man out to police officers posted in nearby Rockefeller Center,” reports ABC.
A lighter was found in his possession, and he has been charged with criminal mischief, reckless endangerment, arson, criminal nuisance, endangering others, criminal trespass, criminal tampering and disorderly conduct.
Fox says it will rebuild the tree, which took more than 21 hours to assemble and consisted of 10,000 glass ornaments and 100,000 lights.
You may like
Nation1 day ago
Elon Musk Says Microchips Will be Ready to Implant Human Brains in 2022
COVID-192 days ago
UPDATE: Video of Australian Woman Shows Balcony She Cannot Leave at COVID Detention Facility
COVID-191 day ago
Florida Hospital Suspends Vaccine Mandates For Its 83,000 Employees
Podcast2 days ago
How the Left Created the Massive Rise in Crime