Nation
‘What a bunch of morons’: Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene reacts to being stripped of committee assignments
Freshman Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene was stripped of her committee assignments Thursday for her previous endorsements of QAnon, antisemitic, and other dangerous conspiracy theories.
Eleven Republicans joined Democrats in voting in favor of removing Greene from her committees. That vote included Republican Representatives Brian Fitzpatrick, PA, Carlos Gimenez, FL, Mario Diaz-Balart, R-FL, Chris Jacobs, NY, John Katko, NY, Young Kim, CA, Adam Kinzinger, IL, Nicole Malliotakis, NY, Maria Salazar, FL, Chris Smith, NJ, Fred Upton, MI.
“I woke up early this morning literally laughing thinking about what a bunch of morons the Democrats (+11) are for giving some one like me free time,” Greene wrote on Twitter Friday in reaction to the decision.
“In this Democrat tyrannical government, Conservative Republicans have no say on committees anyway,” she continued.
“Oh this is going to be fun!”
On the House floor Thursday, prior to the vote, Rep. Greene said she “stumbled” upon the QAnon conspiracies in 2017. She explained becoming “very interested in it” at the time.
“I read about it, I talked about it, I asked questions about it. The problem with that, though, is that I was allowed to believe things that weren’t true and I would ask questions about them and talk about them, and that is absolutely what I regret,” she said.
“Because if it weren’t for the Facebook posts and comments that I liked in 2018,” she added, “I wouldn’t be standing here today and you couldn’t point a finger and accuse me of anything wrong because I’ve lived a very good life that I’m proud of […] and that’s what my district elected me for.”
“I was allowed to believe things that weren’t true and I would ask questions about them and talk about them and that is absolutely what I regret,” Greene continued. “If it weren’t for the Facebook posts and comments that I liked in 2018, I wouldn’t be standing here today and you couldn’t point a finger and accuse me of anything wrong because I’ve lived a very good life that I’m proud of.”
Later in 2018, she said she “started finding misinformation, lies, things that were not true in these QAnon posts…” and ultimately “stopped believing it.”
She also clarified that “9/11 absolutely happened” after she had previously questioned whether a plane flew into the Pentagon in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
Follow Jennie Taer on Twitter @JennieSTaer
Elections
BREAKING: Trump ordered to pay over $350M, barred from operating his business in NY in civil fraud case ruling
Former President Donald Trump and his business empire faced a significant setback as a New York judge ruled against them in a civil fraud case brought by New York Attorney General Letitia James. The 92-page ruling, handed down by Judge Arthur Engoron, barred Trump from operating his business in New York for three years and imposed over $350 million in damages.
The case, which unfolded over months of trial proceedings, stemmed from allegations that Trump inflated his assets and engaged in fraudulent practices. Engoron’s ruling cited a litany of charges, including persistent fraud, falsifying records, issuing false financial statements, and conspiracy to commit fraud.
Moreover, the judge imposed restrictions on key figures within the Trump Organization, including Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump, barring them from serving in certain corporate roles in New York for a specified period.
Engoron’s scathing assessment of Trump’s testimony during the trial further undermined the former president’s credibility. The judge criticized Trump for evasive responses and irrelevant digressions, highlighting the detrimental effect on his credibility.
In response to the ruling, Trump’s attorney, Christopher Kise, lambasted the court’s decision, alleging political bias and a disregard for established legal principles. Kise argued that the evidence presented during the trial failed to support the allegations of fraud and emphasized Trump’s substantial net worth.
Kise’s assertions were echoed by Alina Habba, another attorney representing Trump, who denounced the verdict as a “manifest injustice” resulting from a politically motivated witch hunt.
Throughout the proceedings, Trump consistently dismissed the trial as politically motivated, accusing both Engoron and James of partisan bias. His legal team also criticized the absence of a jury in the trial, questioning the fairness of the proceedings.
Attorney General Letitia James, who spearheaded the lawsuit against Trump and his organization, portrayed the ruling as a victory for accountability and transparency in business practices. The lawsuit alleged fraudulent conduct and sought substantial financial penalties, a portion of which would contribute to the state treasury.
The fallout from the case extends beyond Trump and his business interests, with implications for the broader business community and the rule of law. The contentious nature of the trial and its outcome underscored deep divisions and raised questions about the integrity of the legal system.
Trump vows to appeal the decision.
-
Israel6 days agoIran-backed Houthis recruiting ‘thousands’ of children after Oct 7 massacre
-
China7 days agoHunter associate: China successfully attempted to ‘infiltrate and compromise’ Biden family and Obama White House
-
Immigration5 days agoFeds bust ‘sophisticated’ trucking operation smuggling drugs in fire extinguishers after two year operation
-
Nation7 days agoBREAKING: At least one dead, multiple injured after Chiefs Super Bowl victory rally