The United Nations Special Rapporteur on Extra-Judicial Executions Agnes Callamard says the U.S. broke international law in killing Iranian Quds Force, a U.S. designated Foreign Terrorist Organization, General Qasem Soleimani. Callamard’s report was submitted to the U.N. Human Rights Council on Monday and it will likely be discussed during a meeting planned for Thursday, according to Business Insider.
“Accordingly, in light of the evidence that the US has provided to date, the targeting of General Soleimani, and the deaths of those accompanying him, constitute an arbitrary killing for which, under IHRL, the US is responsible,” the report concluded, noting that the U.S. had “insufficient evidence provided of an ongoing or imminent attack” on U.S. officials in Iraq.
“Major General Soleimani was in charge of Iran military strategy, and actions, in Syria and Iraq. But absent an actual imminent threat to life, the course of action taken by the US was unlawful,” the report added.
Soleimani and his associates were killed in a U.S. targeted drone strike at Baghdad International Airport on January 2 after the U.S. had learned of his plans to conduct “imminent and sinister attacks” on Americans in the region.
He was responsible for the deaths of hundreds of Americans and American-allies and thousands wounded in the region, according to the Pentagon.
The Pentagon also deemed Soleimani responsible for orchestrating attacks on the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad through Iranian-backed militias just days before he was killed.
“As President, my highest and most solemn duty is the defense of our nation and its citizens,” President Donald Trump said in his speech the day after the attack. “Last night at my direction, the United States military successfully executed a flawless precision strike that killed the number one terrorist anywhere in the world, Qassem Soleimani. Soleimani was plotting imminent and sinister attacks on American diplomats and military personnel, but we caught him in the act and terminated him.”
Trump added, “Under my leadership, America’s policy is unambiguous. To terrorists who harm or intend to harm any American: We will find you. We will eliminate you. We will always protect our diplomats, service members, all Americans, and our allies. For years, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and its ruthless Qods force under Soleimani’s leadership has targeted, injured and murdered hundreds of American civilians and servicemen.”
You may like
The Guardian Removes Osama bin Laden’s “Letter to America” Amidst Viral Resurfacing
The Guardian, a left-wing media outlet, has taken down Osama bin Laden’s notorious “Letter to America” from its website this week after the words of the deceased terrorist mastermind, responsible for the attacks on September 11, 2001, gained traction on social media.
The letter, which had been published on The Guardian’s website since 2002, resurfaced online, causing a sudden spike in traffic. Social media users unearthed and shared the anti-American and antisemitic content, propelling the document to viral status. The Guardian, acknowledging the increased circulation without the full context, opted to remove the transcript.
According to reports from Fox News Digital, a spokesperson for The Guardian stated, “The transcript published on our website 20 years ago has been widely shared on social media without the full context. Therefore we have decided to take it down and direct readers to the news article that originally contextualized it instead.” The outlet declined to provide additional comments on the matter.
Osama bin Laden’s letter, translated into English, justified al-Qaeda’s attacks against the U.S. by citing American actions in Palestine. The deceased terrorist accused the U.S. of supporting the creation and continuation of Israel, labeling it one of the “greatest crimes” that must be erased. Bin Laden’s letter also propagated antisemitic tropes, claiming Jews control American policies, media, and the economy.
The 9/11 attacks, orchestrated by al-Qaeda, resulted in the deaths of nearly 3,000 people and left thousands more injured. The letter’s resurgence occurred as it was shared by social media influencers on platforms like TikTok, with some expressing a change in perspective. Pro-Palestinian activist Lynette Adkins was among those who shared the letter online, prompting discussions and reflections.
The Guardian’s decision to remove the letter from its website underscores the sensitivity surrounding the content and its potential impact, particularly as young individuals across America engage with pro-Palestinian talking points. The episode has sparked debates about the influence of social media in reshaping perceptions and the responsibility of media outlets in disseminating controversial historical documents.
You may like
- Director of prominent Muslim group and Biden partner on antisemitism was ‘happy to see’ Oct. 7 Hamas attacks against Israel
- Israel closes in on Hamas’ stronghold in Gaza and videos show suspected terrorists surrendering to IDF
- Antisemitism prompts House Education Committee to investigate Harvard, MIT, UPenn
Israel4 days ago
As More Evidence Shows Hamas War Crimes, Biden Administration Continues to Gaslight Israel
Elections4 days ago
Videotapes from Jan. 6 Committee Witness Interviews Vanish
Politics4 days ago
Controversial Remarks by Progressive Lawmaker Sparks Intra-Party Clash over Hamas’ Alleged Sexual Violence
National Security3 days ago
ISIS-Inspired Teen’s Sinister Plot Foiled: Lone Wolf Threat Neutralized in Las Vegas