Connect with us

Media

Twitter Admits Flaw ‘Exposed Private User Data’ of over 5.4 Million Accounts

Published

on

shutterstock 1873787953 scaled 1

In the battle of  Tesla CEO Elon Musk and giant media tech Twitter, the billionaire could also receive an investigative journalism award for the content that is being exposed.

Twitter was recently forced to admit “that a vulnerability in its code led to the exposure of data of anonymous users on the platform. Private user data on more than 5.4 million accounts was accessed before the company patched the bug that let malicious actors into the system” reports Breitbart News.

Engadget reports that Twitter has confirmed a vulnerability in its code that led to the exposure of anonymous users’ data. In a blog post published on Friday, Twitter stated that a “malicious actor took advantage of a zero-day flaw in its code before it became aware of the issue and patched it in January 2022.”

The beloved blame game. Sounds awfully familiar. Breitbart continues:

The vulnerability was noticed by a security researcher who contacted Twitter via its bug bounty program. Twitter initially said that there was “no evidence” to suggest that the flaw had been exploited, but an individual told Bleeping Computer last month that they had taken advantage of the bug and obtained data on more than 5.4 million accounts.

Twitter stated that it is unable to confirm whether users were affected by the exposure. The vulnerability allows the hacker to determine whether an email address or phone number was linked to an existing Twitter account. The hacker was then able to determine who owned the Twitter account.

“We are publishing this update because we aren’t able to confirm every account that was potentially impacted, and are particularly mindful of people with pseudonymous accounts who can be targeted by state or other actors,” Twitter said. “If you operate a pseudonymous Twitter account, we understand the risks an incident like this can introduce and deeply regret that this happened.”

Twitter stated that it would notify all account owners that it could confirm were affected by the exposure. “The company recommends that users attempting to hide their identity not link a publicly known phone number or email address to an account and to enable two-factor authentication” adds Breitbart.

Breitbart News recently reported on Musk’s countersuit, which just became public:

“Twitter played a months-long game of hide-and-seek to attempt to run out the clock before the Musk Parties could discern the truth about these representations, which they needed to close,” the countersuit alleges. “The more Twitter evaded even simple inquiries, the more the Musk Parties grew to suspect that Twitter had misled them.”

You may like

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Elections

Judge orders Biden’s DHS to release files on agents accused of censoring election ‘misinformation’

Published

on

google facebook france

Missouri Attorney General Andrew Bailey and Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry made headway in countering federal agents involved in suppressing what liberal tech labeled “misinformation” on social media.

The Attorneys General moved to release testimony from five Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) employees after learning of their participation in the Biden administration’s counter-“disinformation” efforts. On Wednesday, a Louisiana judge ordered the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to release the files.

Court documents dated Jan. 19 show  the agents participated. The judge’s motion Wednesday could shed light on a “switchboarding” tactic employed during the 2020 election, according to the order.

The lawsuit alleges that the defendants, which include the named individuals as well as President Joe Biden and top officials from a variety of federal agencies, “colluded and/or coerced social media companies to suppress disfavored speakers, viewpoints, and content on social media platforms by labeling the content “dis-information,” “mis-information,” and “mal-formation.”

The Daily Caller reports that the five CISA employees allegedly served as a “switchboard” to route requests from federal agencies to censor disinformation to various social media companies, according to the documents.

Switchboard work employed “an audit official to identify something on social media they deemed to be disinformation aimed at their jurisdiction,” top CISA election security agent Brian Skully testified in a deposition released Thursday.

“They couldforward that to CISA and CISA would share that with the appropriate social mediacompanies.”

 

 

You may like

Continue Reading
Advertisement
-->

Trending Now

Advertisement
-->

Trending

Proudly Made In America | © 2022 M3 Media Management, LLC