Connect with us

Politics

Trump hires two lawyers ahead of impeachment trial

Published

on

trump out of hospital

Former President Donald Trump named two new attorneys Sunday to lead his impeachment team ahead of next week’s Senate trial.

It was revealed Saturday that Trump had parted ways with his former set of attorneys. Attorneys David Schoen and Bruce L Castor will now lead Trump’s new legal team.

Trump’s office said in a statement, “Notably, Schoen has already been working with the 45th President and other advisors to prepare for the upcoming trial, and both Schoen and Castor agree that this impeachment is unconstitutional – a fact 45 Senators voted in agreement with last week.”

Schoen is a world-renowned civil rights and criminal defense attorney, who frequently appears on Fox News. Bruce Castor is a former district attorney in Pennsylvania.

“The strength of our Constitution is about to be tested like never before in our history. It is strong and resilient. A document written for the ages, and it will triumph over partisanship yet again, and always,” Castor said in a statement.

Trump’s trial is set for Feb. 9. Trump’s legal team has until Tuesday to respond to the article of impeachment passed by the House charging him with “incitement of insurrection.”

Follow Annaliese Levy on Twitter @AnnalieseLevy

You may like

Continue Reading

education

Original National School Boards Association letter asked Biden to deploy National Guard and Military Police

Published

on

Screen Shot 2020 08 03 at 1.12.51 PM

An internal review has revealed that the National School Boards Association (NSBA) planned to ask President Biden to deploy the Army National Guard and military police to watch over parents protesting policies such as mandatory mask wearing and teaching critical race theory.

“The stunning request was included in a draft letter to the president from September of last year, but was ultimately removed from the final version by the NSBA’s then-CEO Chip Slaven, according to a report from Milwaukee-based law firm Michael Best & Friedrich LLP” reports the New York Post.

The letter that was ultimately sent, on Sept. 29, was signed by Slaven and then-president Viola Garcia and argued that verbal confrontations and other incidents at local school board meetings across the US constituted “acts of malice, violence, and threats against public school officials.”

“But the original letter — drafted Sept. 17 by Deborah Rigsby, the NSBA official in charge of lobbying and federal legislation — contained an even more egregious request” adds The Post.

“[W]e ask that the Army National Guard and its Military Police be deployed to certain school districts and related events where students and school personnel have been subjected to acts and threats of violence,” the letter read. The line was too extreme even for Slaven, who expressed his concern in an edited draft dated Sept. 22.

“[T]he classification of these heinous actions could be the equivalent to a form of domestic terrorism and hate crimes,” read the final letter, which went on to ask the administration to “examine appropriate enforceable actions” under a raft of legislation — including the post-9/11 Patriot Act.

Ultimately, the letter “precipitated an Oct. 4 order by Attorney General Merrick Garland that the FBI investigate complaints of threats against school officials from parents, caused an immediate backlash from parents and Republicans in Congress.”

You may like

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending Now

Advertisement

Trending

Proudly Made In America | © 2022 M3 Media Management, LLC