Connect with us

Nation

Snapchat Stops Promoting Trump’s Acct. To Counter ‘Voices Who Incite violence..injustice’

Published

on

Screenshot 2020 06 03 13.30.39

The popular social media app Snapchat will stop promoting President Donald Trump’s account, the company announced Wednesday, according to reports.

“We are not currently promoting the president’s content on Snapchat’s discover platform,” a Snap spokesperson told Business Insider. “We will not amplify voices who incite racial violence and injustice by giving them free promotion on Discover. Racial violence and injustice have no place in our society and we stand together with all who seek peace, love, equality, and justice in America.”

The notice comes in the midst of ongoing protest and violent riots across the country in reaction to the tragic death of George Floyd. The company’s CEO Evan Spiegel sent a memo on Monday to Snap employees saying that the “country has put businesses first” and that the system needs to change. Spiegel added that the company will use its Discover platform to make a change themselves to stop promoting people “who incite ratial violence.”

“As for Snapchat, we simply cannot promote accounts in America that are linked to people who incite racial violence, whether they do so on or off our platform. Our Discover content platform is a curated platform, where we decide what we promote,” Spiegel wrote.

“We have spoken time and again about working hard to make a positive impact, and we will walk the talk with the content we promote on Snapchat. We may continue to allow divisive people to maintain an account on Snapchat, as long as the content that is published on Snapchat is consistent with our community guidelines, but we will not promote that account or content in any way.”

The President has also been censored on Twitter with a number of fact checks issued to his tweets. Moreover, he acted last week to crack down on social media bias with an executive order.

You may like

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Nation

Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban Buys Entire Texas Town

‘No Plans Yet’, Cuban Says About His Purchase of Abandoned Texas Town of Mustang

Published

on

Mark Cuban
Photo by Katharine Lotze/Getty Images

Forget becoming Mayor of a town, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is now the owner of a town.  Cuban reportedly purchased the entire town of Mustang, Texas. The town is virtually abandoned with no current residents, “and it’s been several years since the last two businesses, Wispers Cabaret strip club and Lion’s Den adult bookstore, operated” reports NBC News.

In a brief email explaining the purchase to NBC News on Friday, Cuban wrote “did it to help out a friend. No plans yet!” The town of Mustang is roughly 65 miles south of American Airlines Center, the home of the Dallas Mavericks.

According to Mike Turner, president of Dallas real estate firm J. Elmer Turner, the town had been for sale on the market about four years, listed after the principal owner Marty Price became ill and decided to sell.

Price was an attorney who died this past August; a devoted basketball fan with Mavericks floor seats. “Mark Cuban stepped up, and it was a natural for him to buy it” Turner told NBC News. “With his resources and imagination, I’m sure there are endless possibilities.”

Turner did not reveal the final sales price but admitted it closed last month for less than the $4 million asking price. Jerry Newsom, chief of the volunteer fire department in the neighboring town of Angus, told NBC Dallas-Fort Worth “we’re excited to have him as our neighbor here, and we’re excited for the growth and the potential it has.”

You may like

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending Now

Advertisement

Trending