Connect with us

Elections

Sen. Graham: Dems’ voting bill is the ‘biggest power grab’ in US history

Published

on

Screen Shot 2021 06 21 at 10.16.00 AM scaled

[brid autoplay=”true” video=”806846″ player=”23886″ title=”Sara%20Carter%20Children%20as%20young%20as%208%20years%20old%20sold%20into%20prostitution%20at%20border” duration=”56″ description=”undefined” uploaddate=”2021-06-18″ thumbnailurl=”//cdn.brid.tv/live/partners/18168/thumb/806846_t_1624011645.png” contentUrl=”//cdn.brid.tv/live/partners/18168/sd/806846.mp4″]


By Jenny Goldsberry

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) joined host Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday Night to react to Sen. Joe Manchin’s (D-WV) latest version of the SR-1 voting bill. This bill calls for a commission to redistrict states, ballot harvesting and no longer requires an ID to vote.

“Well, one, I like Joe Manchin a lot,” Graham said. “But we had the largest turnout in the history of the United States and states are in charge of voting in America. So I don’t like the idea of taking the power to redistrict away from state legislators.”

The South Carolina senator admitted this would not be in his party’s favor. “You’re having people move from blue states to red states. Under this proposal, you would have some kind of commission redraw the new districts, and I don’t like that. I want states where people are moving to have control over how to allocate new congressional seats.” Therefore, his party would remain a majority in those districts.

Wallace asked Graham if he could “go along with the Manchin stripped down version” of the bill anyway.

“So, as much as I like Joe Manchin, the answer would be no,” Graham responded. “In my view, SR. 1 is the biggest power grab in the history of the country. It’s just a bad idea and it’s a problem that most Republicans are not going to sign. They’re trying to fix a problem most Republicans have a different view of.” 

You can follow Jenny Goldsberry on Twitter @jennyjournalism.

Continue Reading

Elections

BREAKING: IL judge orders state election board to remove Trump from primary ballot

Published

on

Screen Shot 2023 08 25 at 9.30.14 AM

Cook County Judge Tracie Porter issued a lengthy ruling Wednesday which orders the state election board to remove former President Donald Trump from the Illinois primary ballot on March 19. Porter wrote Trump is disqualified from the presidency due to his actions relating to the January 6, 2021 riots at the U.S. Capitol.

Porter said she was aware her “decision could not be the ultimate outcome,” given that higher courts will have a chance to weigh in; she also put her order on hold until Friday in anticipation of an appeal.

The Chicago Sun Times reports that the State Board of Elections voted unanimously last month to reject the same bid to block Trump from Illinois’ ballot under the 14th Amendment. But Porter found the board’s decision to be “clearly erroneous.”

The 14th Amendment bars from “any office, civil or military, under the United States” anyone who previously took an oath as an “officer of the United States” to support the Constitution but then engaged in “insurrection or rebellion.”

Trump’s lawyers have told the U.S. Supreme Court the amendment doesn’t apply because the president is not an “officer of the United States” under the Constitution and because he did not engage in “anything that qualifies as ‘insurrection.’”

According to the Chicago Sun Times, the “U.S. Supreme Court is poised to rule on the controversy soon — and appeared skeptical of the arguments to kick Trump off Colorado’s ballot. The clock is ticking on the nation’s high court given that Colorado’s primary election is Tuesday.” Porter also said her order would be put on hold if the Supreme court’s ruling is ultimately “inconsistent” with hers.

Continue Reading

Trending