Connect with us

National Security

Second D.C. police officer dies by suicide after Capitol riots

Published

on

DC police chief contee

A D.C. police officer who responded to the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol has died by suicide, according to Washington D.C.’s police chief.

Officer Jeffrey Smith is one of two cops to die by suicide due to the aftermath of the riots at the U.S. Capitol.

Officer Smith was a 12-year veteran of the force and was assigned to patrol D.C.’s 2nd District.

D.C. Acting Police Chief Robert J. Contee III said at a House Appropriations Committee hearing on Tuesday that Officer Smith died after the attack.

“Tragically, two officers who were at the Capitol on January 6th, one each from the Capitol Police and MPD, took their own lives in the aftermath of that battle,” Contee said in his statement.

According to Contee, Smith was injured during the Capitol attack.

“That was a very sad and tragic situation for us,” Contee said during a press conference on Wednesday. “He had been injured as a result of the confrontation that had occurred at the Capitol and a couple of days after that, the officer, he took his life.”

U.S. Capitol Police officer Howard Liebengood died by suicide three days after the siege. A spokesperson with the U.S. Capitol Police said Liebengood was assigned to the Senate Division and had been with the department since April 2005.

Another Capitol Police officer, Brian D. Sicknick, died the day after the riot “due to injuries sustained while on-duty,” the Capitol Police said in a statement earlier this month.

“We honor the service and sacrifices of officers Brian Sicknick, Howard Liebengood and Jeffrey Smith, and offer condolences to all the grieving families,” Contee said.

“The costs for this insurrection – both human and monetary – will be steep.”

According to the DC Police and the Capitol Police officers’ union, about 140 law enforcement officers were injured in the attack.

Follow Annaliese Levy on Twitter @AnnalieseLevy

Continue Reading

Immigration

Two-year-old murdered by illegal immigrant with long criminal history in Maryland

Published

on

Screen Shot 2023 01 09 at 4.26.56 PM

Two-year-old Jeremy Poou Caceres of Maryland was allegedly murdered by an illegal immigrant who was supposed to be deported over a year ago. The Prince George’s County Police Department in Maryland charged El Salvador native Nilson Noel Trejo-Granados with first and second-degree murder, two counts of first-degree assault, second-degree assault, and attempted first and second-degree murder.

A Department of Justice immigration judge in Newark ordered Trejo-Granados’s removal from the U.S. on November 7, 2022. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) said in a statement that Trejo-Granados should have been deported a number of times following that order.

Unfortunately, as National Review reports, “Prince George’s County, where the suspect was arrested, is a sanctuary jurisdiction, meaning it does not cooperate with ICE detainer requests. Neighboring Montgomery County, where Trejo-Granados had previously been arrested on theft charges, is also a sanctuary.”

ICE Baltimore Field Office Director Darius Reeves has previously accused county of “recycling” offenders by failing to notice federal immigration detainers. ICE has issued 119 detainers on individuals in Montgomery County’s custody since October 2023, local news reported.

Poou Caceres was shot and killed in Langley Park on February 8 outside of an apartment complex. Police say that the boy and his 17-year-old mother were caught in the crossfire of a shootout between two groups.

National Review identifies the constant danger liberal policies have placed law-abiding citizens in:

In deep-blue Montgomery County, the struggle between ICE and local law enforcement has raged for years, contributing in-part to the county’s illegal alien crime wave. Most recently, MCPD released an illegal MS-13 gang member, ignoring three ICE detainers. County schools are not required to disclose students’ citizenship statuses — a policy that gained national attention in 2017 when a 14-year-old girl said that she was raped by an 18-year-old illegal immigrant from Guatemala.

Two illegal immigrants were also arrested in the county in 2019 for allegedly raping an eleven-year-old girl on separate occasions. One of them had been issued a “final order of removal” in 2016 by an immigration judge. The other was known to ICE as a “repeat immigration violator” and had already been deported from the U.S. in 2014, to no avail. Nine illegal immigrants were charged by MCPD with rape and sexual assault in July-October of 2019 — the same year that the county enacted a sweeping sanctuary policy.

Continue Reading

Trending