Connect with us

International

Researchers develop nose-only mask for eating

Published

on

Screen Shot 2021 03 25 at 12.42.59 PM scaled

Researchers in Mexico have designed a new mask to allow people to eat while wearing one, according to a Wednesday report. The caveat: it’s nose-only mask.

These nose masks are worn underneath a full face mask and feature similar strings that loop behind the ears. The new mask design was revealed in a demonstration video where a man and woman sit down for lunch, according to Reuters.

RELATED: CDC urging 2-year-olds to wear masks

The video, which features no talking, shows the duo removing their regular face masks to unveil their nose coverings before dining at an outdoor table. The new mask is designed to allow people to eat, drink, and talk—all while covering their noses.

Cells that give humans their sense of smell are a major entry point for coronavirus, making nose coverings important, according to Johns Hopkins University, as The New York Post pointed out. However, the World Health Organization (WHO) suggests that individuals wear masks that fully cover their nose, mouth, and chin in order to best safeguard themselves and others from COVID-19.

RELATED: Rand Paul: Fauci is wearing a mask ‘because it’s one of his noble lies to convince everybody to wear masks’

Furthermore, research from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has shown that more mask material and more mask layers are usually better than less. In February, the CDC updated its guidance to recommend double-masking as an additional protection measure, saying it can significantly lower the spread of COVID-19.

In the United States, just over 30 million people have contracted the virus, and 545,000 people have died from it, according to COVID-19 data from Johns Hopkins University as of Thursday.

The nose-mask video, it should be noted, did not mention the names of the Mexican researchers, their company or organization, or when the nose masks could become publicly available.

You can follow Douglas Braff on Twitter @Douglas_P_Braff.

Continue Reading

International

VP Kamala Harris publicly mourns Palestinians killed in hostage rescue operation

Published

on

Screen Shot 2021 06 07 at 3.24.24 PM

Vice President Kamala Harris mourned the Palestinians in Gaza who were killed in the successful Israeli hostage rescue operation this weekend during an address delivered over the weekend.

Israeli forces say Hamas intentionally kept the hostages in a “civilian environment.” They also said even the Palestinians who were holding the hostages were also “civilians.”

Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari of the IDF said Hamas has been holding hostages inside civilian buildings, including the locations where Israeli forces rescued Noa Argamani, 26, Almog Meir Jan, 22, Shlomi Ziv, 41, and Andrey Kozlov, 27.

“Before I begin, I just say a few words about the morning which I know weighs heavily on all of our hearts,” she said.

“On Oct. 7, Hamas committed a brutal massacre of 1,200 innocent people and abducted 250 hostages,” she continued. “Thankfully, four of those hostages were reunited with their families tonight. And we mourn all of the innocent lives that have been lost in Gaza, including those tragically killed today.”

The Israeli operation retrieved four hostages who were taken into Gaza by Hamas on Oct. 7. Harris, speaking before the Michigan Democratic Party, celebrated their retrieval but spent more time lamenting the deaths of Palestinians killed in the operation, many of whom Israel has described as terrorists.

“We have been working every day to bring an end to this conflict in a way that ensures Israel is secure, brings home all hostages, ends ongoing suffering for Palestinian people and ensures that Palestinians can enjoy their right to self-determination, dignity and freedom,” Harris added. “As President Biden said last week, it is time for this war to end.”

Fox News reports that Hamas-run authorities in Gaza claim over 270 Palestinians were killed in the Israeli operation, though they make no distinction between militants and innocents. Israeli forces claim the number was fewer than 100.

White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan also confirmed reports on Sunday that some number of innocents appeared to have been killed in the operation.

“We the United States are not in a position today to make a definitive statement about [the death toll],” Sullivan said in a Sunday interview with CNN. “But we do know this: innocent people were tragically killed in this operation. The exact number we don’t know, but innocent people were killed.”

“Every day that we see more innocent people lost is another horrible, awful, tragic day,” he added.

Continue Reading

Trending