Connect with us

Elections

Report: Pence expected to attend Biden inauguration

Published

on

Screen Shot 2020 07 17 at 1.42.28 PM

After overseeing the certification of the states’ Electoral College votes Wednesday, making President-elect Joe Biden‘s 2020 election victory official, Politico reports that Vice President Mike Pence is expected to attend Biden’s inauguration unlike President Donald Trump, who is heavily expected to skip his successor’s January 20 ceremony.

Three sources close to Pence told Politico in a Thursday report that Pence would likely attend the swearing-in ceremony in a show of support for the peaceful transition of power. The decision to make an appearance, they said, became easier after Trump openly criticized his second-in-command leading up to, and following, his 11th-hour refusal to prevent the certification.

“It was a much more difficult decision days ago, but less difficult now,” said a person close to Pence.

President Trump, on the other hand, is highly expected to not attend Biden’s inauguration, according to multiple reports. This comes after a divisive presidential election that Trump continues to claim was “rigged” and “stolen” from him.

Politico, citing several sources, says Trump may be at Mar-a-Lago that day and could possibly hold a rally.

RELATED: Trump plans competing rally on Inauguration Day: report

After Wednesday’s riot that saw anarchists storm the U.S. Capitol and attack police ahead of Congress certifying the 2020 election later that day, Trump—whose response has been broadly condemned—committed in a Thursday morning statement to “an orderly transition on January 20th.”

RELATED: Pres. Trump commits to ‘orderly transition on January 20th’

RELATED: Trump should ‘probably’ attend Biden’s inauguration, says Newt Gingrich

Whether the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies had already offered an invitation to Pence or other VIP guests who have confirmed their attendance, such as the Bushes, remains to be seen, Politico noted.

President George W. Bush and his wife Laura will attend the inauguration, according to their spokesman, Freddy Ford. “President and Mrs. Bush look forward to returning to the Capitol for the swearing in of President Biden and Vice President Harris,” Ford said in a statement, per the Associated Press.

Bush is the last living former Republican president. His father, President George H.W. Bush, who passed away in 2018, chose not to attend Trump’s 2017 inauguration while the younger Bush did.

The 96-year-old former and longest-living president Jimmy Carter also announced this week that he and his wife Rosalynn will not attend the event this time around, marking the first time in his 39-year post-presidency that he will not attend a presidential inauguration.

A spokeswoman at the Atlanta-based Carter Center said the Carters have sent Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris their “best wishes” and “look forward to a successful administration,” the Associated Press reported Wednesday.

Due to the health risks posed by the coronavirus pandemic, Inauguration Day 2021 will diverge from tradition in how the massive event will be planned, the Biden transition team has said.

In particular, the team is rethinking the usual crowding along the National Mall in front of the U.S. Capitol’s West Front for Biden’s inaugural address and the subsequent parade that travels down Pennsylvania Avenue from the Capitol to the White House in a manner that will let Americans participate from home.

Furthermore, due to Wednesday’s violent political upheaval, the D.C. National Guard will be put on a 30-day mobilization, so that they are available on the January 20, two defense officials told NBC News in a report published Thursday.

You can follow Douglas Braff on Twitter @Douglas_P_Braff.

You may like

Continue Reading

Elections

PJ Media report: SHOCKER! WaPo Update About Mar-A-Lago Raid Doesn’t Fit the Narrative

Published

on

Screen Shot 2022 08 09 at 6.39.11 AM

PJ Media’s Kevin Downey Jr. has dissected a Washington Post report regarding findings from the raid of former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate. “Shocker! WaPo Update About Mar-A-Lag0 Raid Doesn’t Fit the Narrative” Downey Jr.’s report is titled.

“Remember when the FBI raided Trump’s home supposedly looking for “nuclear secrets” a few months back? Guess how that turned out?” the article begins.

I’ll let the quislings at the Washinton Post spell it out:

Federal agents and prosecutors have come to believe former president Donald Trump’s motive for allegedly taking and keeping classified documents was largely his ego and a desire to hold on to the materials as trophies or mementos, according to people familiar with the matter.

In other words, Trump was keeping souvenirs, as everyone else does.

Funny how WaPo sat on that story until after the midterms, right?

But wait, there’s more!

That review has not found any apparent business advantage to the types of classified information in Trump’s possession, these people said. FBI interviews with witnesses so far, they said, also do not point to any nefarious effort by Trump to leverage, sell or use the government secrets. Instead, the former president seemed motivated by a more basic desire not to give up what he believed was his property, these people said.

The WaPo also found no evidence that Trump was looking to “leverage, sell or use the government secrets.”

They threw the idea in near the very end that they still might come up with something juicy:

The people familiar with the matter cautioned that the investigation is ongoing, that no final determinations have been made, and that it is possible additional information could emerge that changes investigators’ understanding of Trump’s motivations. But they said the evidence collected over a period of months indicates the primary explanation for potentially criminal conduct was Trump’s ego and intransigence.

Continue Reading: PJ Media

You may like

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending Now

Advertisement

Trending

Proudly Made In America | © 2022 M3 Media Management, LLC