Connect with us

Elections

Rep. Omar’s campaign paid husband’s firm around $2.8M: Report

Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) has paid her husband’s political consulting firm around $2.8 million during this election cycle so far, Fox News reported on Tuesday.

Published

on

ilhan omar d mn

Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) has paid her husband’s political consulting firm around $2.8 million during this election cycle so far, Fox News reported on Tuesday. The information comes from the Federal Election Commission.

Omar’s office responded to this reporter’s request for comment that she and her staff are out of the office in observance of Veteran’s Day.

The Democratic congresswoman’s campaign reportedly hired the firm of her husband, Tim Mynett, for the purposes of cable advertising, “digital consulting,” video production and editing. Omar easily won re-election last week in her U.S. House district.

From the beginning of 2019 to July 22, 2020, the Minnesota member of “The Squad” paid her husband’s firm, E Street Group LLC, $1.6 million, according to the report. In the third quarter following that, she reported another $1.1 million, with $27,000 reported in the subsequent weeks, Fox News reports.

Apparently, that $1.1 million comprised 70% of her campaign spending that quarter, according to Fox News.

Omar has previously come under fire for paying her husband’s firm. When she married Mynett in March of this year, Omar had already paid his firm $500,000 and was facing scrutiny for it. At the time, she posted a long thread on Twitter where she tried to explain herself and the situation, saying that her campaign began working with Mynett’s firm long before they began seeing each other romantically and that a top FEC campaign attorney okayed their relationship.

You can follow Douglas Braff on Twitter @Douglas_P_Braff.

You may like

Continue Reading

Elections

Meta to reinstate Trump’s Facebook, Instagram ‘in coming weeks’

Published

on

googleimage

Meta’s president of Global Affairs Nick Clegg announced former President Trump’s Facebook and Instagram accounts will be reinstated “in coming weeks” after a more than two-year suspension.

“Our determination is that the risk [to public safety] has sufficiently receded,” Meta Clegg said in a blog post. “As such, we will be reinstating Mr. Trump’s Facebook and Instagram accounts in the coming weeks. However, we are doing so with new guardrails in place to deter repeat offenses.”

Twitter restored Trump’s account in November following its takeover by billionaire Elon Musk, but the former president has not yet resumed tweeting. Therefore it is unclear if he will use any of his former social media platforms, or instead remain on his own social media platform, Truth Social.

Clegg said “We just do not want — if he is to return to our services — for him to do what he did on January 6, which is to use our services to delegitimize the 2024 election, much as he sought to discredit the 2020 election.”

New “guardrails” include new policies around restricting accounts by public figures during civil unrest. Under those policies, Meta can decide to restrict the account of a public figure that violates its community standards for a time ranging from one month to two years.

“If he now posts further violating content, that content will be removed, of course, and he could be suspended for between one month and two years, depending on the severity of the violation,” Clegg said.

Posts will also be able to be limited on distribution without removing them or temporarily restricting access to its advertising tools. “Oblique references to QAnon content, for instance … is the kind of material that — even if it’s done obliquely, and doesn’t violate our community standards — we would seek to restrict the distribution of the content and/or restrict his ability to advertise,” added Clegg.

 

You may like

Continue Reading
Advertisement
-->

Trending Now

Advertisement
-->

Trending

Proudly Made In America | © 2022 M3 Media Management, LLC