Fox News has an excellent re-cap of where the midterm election races across the country stand, and quick explanations as to why Americans woke up without a majority in either the House or the Senate.
- Gretchen Whitmer defeats Tudor Dixon in Michigan, Republican George Santos flipped the 3rd Congressional district in New York, and Stacey Abrams conceded to Republican challenger Brian Kemp in Georgia
- Members of the progressive “Squad” were re-elected in their respective seats: Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., Ayanna Pressley, D-Mass., Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich., Cori Bush, D-Mo., and Jamaal Bowman, D-N.Y.
- 4 Senate seats are still up for grabs: Nevada, Georgia, Wisconsin and Arizona. Delay in Arizona’s Maricopa County due to “ballot glitches” and additional results are expected on Wednesday night.
- Some of the top issues for American voters during this election cycle included inflation, threats to democracy, crime, immigration and border security, and abortion.
- Republican George Santos flipped New York’s 3rd Congressional district Wednesday and secured another House seat for the GOP.
- Arizona’s Senate and Governor Races are still without a winner. Arizona was one of the closest battleground states in 2020, and this year’s races for Senate and Governor were no different.
In the Senate race, Democrat Mark Kelly battled Republican newcomer Blake Masters. College-educated voters and women formed the core of Kelly’s support. He also won the lion’s share of moderates, and even won the backing of roughly one-in-ten Republicans.
- Nevada – Senate Race TBD
As Election night came to an end, all eyes were on Nevada. And at the end of the night, the winner in the state’s crucial Senate race was still up in the air.
- Wisconsin – Senate TBD
Incumbent Republican Ron Johnson found himself in a close race against his Democratic challenger, Wisconsin Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes.
- Georgia – Senate TBD, Kemp Wins Governorship (GOP Hold)
Georgia can’t decide if it’s blue or red. Once again, Raphael Warnock may be headed to a runoff to try to secure a win in this closely contested Senate race for the seat he won in a 2020 runoff.
Incumbent GOP governor Brian Kemp won his rematch against Democrat Stacey Abrams.
Michigan asks residents to house migrants, enroll children in school and help adults find employment
Michigan is asking its residents to help with the mess its leadership created and house migrants in their own homes. The state Department of Labor and Economic Development said volunteers who participate must commit for at least 90 days as part of the refugee support program.
In addition to opening up their homes, sponsors are expected to support newly arrived refugees by greeting them at the airport, securing and preparing initial housing, enrolling children in school and helping adults find employment.
“Programs like the Welcome Corps advance the Office of Global Michigan’s mission to make Michigan the home for opportunity for our immigrant, refugee and ethnic communities,” said Poppy Hernandez, Global Michigan Director and Michigan’s Chief Equity and Inclusion Officer. “Expanded refugee resettlement pathways empower more Michiganders to support our state’s growing refugee population and build a more welcoming and inclusive Michigan for all.”
The migrants will come from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua and Venezuela, all points of origin where many have been hoping to apply for asylum at the U.S.-Mexico border.
Fox News reports “cities like New York and Chicago have also dealt with issues related to migrants committing crimes, as well as pushback from residents who have voiced anger and concern over the influx. Migrant shelters in those cities have largely been full, forcing officials to come up with ways to safely house the migrants.”
Last year, Massachusetts officials asked residents to open their doors as migrant shelters were full at the time. “Most importantly, if you have an extra room or suite in your home, please consider hosting a family. Housing and shelter is our most pressing need and become a sponsor family,” said Massachusetts Lt. Governor Kim Driscoll.
National Security6 days ago
Authorities catch Afghan national on terror watchlist at southern CA border
Israel5 days ago
Iran-backed Houthis recruiting ‘thousands’ of children after Oct 7 massacre
China6 days ago
Hunter associate: China successfully attempted to ‘infiltrate and compromise’ Biden family and Obama White House
Immigration5 days ago
Feds bust ‘sophisticated’ trucking operation smuggling drugs in fire extinguishers after two year operation