Pompeo Urges Peace, Sides with Greece in Turkish Border Dispute
On Monday, the United States and Greece issued a joint statement calling for a peaceful solution to the ongoing dispute in the Eastern Mediterranean between Greece and Turkey, according to POLITICO.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who is visiting Greece for the second time this year, released a joint statement saying that the U.S. and Greece “reaffirmed their belief that maritime delimitation issues should be resolved peacefully.”
The statement continues, emphasizing that the two countries were ready and willing to employ “all appropriate means at their disposal, in order to safeguard stability and security in the wider region.”
The dispute, over potentially abundant natural gas reserves in the Eastern Mediterranean, has seen tensions between the two Aegean neighbors come closer to war than they have been in twenty-five years. In 1996, the two rival countries, both in NATO, almost clashed over an uninhabited island in the Aegean Sea that lies between them.
In 2016 there were a mind-boggling 16 rounds of talks between the two countries. The nations sought to resolve their maritime border disputes. Those collapsed. Since then, Greco-Turkish relations have worsened dramatically.
Recently, Greece announced that it would be bolstering its military capabilities in what will be its biggest military build-up in decades, according to The Guardian.
This build-up, part of Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis’s €6.8-billion ($7.93B) defense plan, will see Greece purchase 18 French Rafale jets and four multi-purpose frigates, as well as upgrading its current naval vessel and old aircraft, as reported.
Additionally, the relationship between the U.S. and Turkey has also deteriorated severely over the past decade as their objectives in the Middle East have increasingly conflicted with one another. Most notably, they have clashed diplomatically in the drawn-out Syrian Civil War and conflict with the Islamic State (IS) over the roles of Kurdish anti-IS militias and Russian forces.
Following a Tuesday visit to a U.S. naval base on the Greek island of Crete, Sec. Pompeo will depart to visit Croatia, Italy, and the Vatican.
You can follow Douglas Braff on Twitter @Douglas_P_Braff.
You may like
Waves Of Military-Aged, Chinese Males Are Surging Our Border
You already know the Biden administration is responsible for record numbers of illegal border crossings after advertising they would not deport people for breaking the law to come here. And while Biden and his team claim they are doing everything possible to contain the situation, this is clearly an intentional act that is now responsible for seven million illegals gaining entry into our nation. In fact, the number of illegal crossings under President Biden in just over two years is already higher than the number under Presidents Obama and Trump combined over 12 years.
But the bad news gets even worse. House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Mark Green (R-Tennessee) says border officials report an alarming number of single, military-aged Chinese males coming to our border. Green breaks down the danger this poses to our national security and details the House GOP legislation to restore order to the border. Green also urges Americans across the country to contact their lawmakers in Washington and demand they secure our nation. He says members of Congress can ignore ten messages, but they will think a lot differently if they get 10,000.
Subscribe to The Sara Carter Show on Youtube to get notifications when new episodes air!
Follow Sara Carter and Alexander Carter on Twitter @SaraCarterDC and @AlexCarterDC
You may like
Nation5 days ago
China Continues to Reshape Middle East with Syria-Arab League Deal
Elections4 days ago
It’s Time for American Men to Man Up and Fight For Their Country
China3 days ago
Border Patrol encounters 393% increase of Chinese migrants, increasing CCP spy risk
Immigration3 days ago
Report: Biden could end DNA testing at border, a key deterrent to fraud and child trafficking