Former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blasted Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Mark Milley over reports that he kept then President Trump from nuclear weapons. In addition, Milley reportedly had several secret phone calls with Chinese officials to undermine Trump. Pompeo appeared on Hannity Wednesday to share his thoughts. According to Pompeo, Milley’s alleged behavior was “unconstitutional, incomprehensible, and completely out of line for any military leader.”
“He is not in the chain of command for operational activity,” Pompeo told host Sean Hannity. “So, this would be dangerous and a usurpation of authority that is historically anomalous.”
As a result, Pompeo is calling for further investigation. “We should make sure that we, as quickly as we can, figure out if General Milley spoke to Woodward himself,” he said. Bob Woodward is one of two authors behind the book that makes the allegations against Milley. “We should find out if Milley is prepared to testify. We could do it tomorrow or the next day to get clarity about what General Milley said.”
After the news about Milley broke, the Department of Defensed claimed there was no transcript of a reported call between Milley and senior Chinese officials regarding nuclear weapons. However, Pompeo believes there is still a way to verify whether or not a conversation happened. “I don’t know the DOD’s policy, Sean, exactly of whether there would be a transcript of this phone call, but I promise you there were note takers in the room,” Pompeo said.
“I’m very confident that conversation could be reconstructed.” Pompeo went on. “If you had a senior military leader, who was simply an advisor, tell the Chinese Communist Party that they would get notice of an attack, this rivals anything we have seen in our nation’s history. Only the president of the United States has the capacity to make those decisions. I would be shocked if then-acting secretary of defense gave him any authority to even contemplate that very conversation.”
The report comes out of Bob Woodward and Robert Costa’s book “Peril.” It will be released September 21st.
You can follow Jenny Goldsberry on Twitter @jennyjournalism.
You may like
IG Audit shows nonprofit wasted $17 million taxpayer dollars on hotels to not house illegal foreign nationals
An audit report by the Inspector General shows enraging information as to exactly how millions of dollars from the American people were completely wasted.
One doesn’t need to read past the IG report’s headline to become furious: “ICE Spent Funds on Unused Beds, Missed COVID-19 Protocols and Detention Standards while Housing Migrant Families in Hotels.”
In summary, an unbelievable $17 million was wasted on not housing illegal foreign nationals. At the heart of the story is Endeavors, a nonprofit which has received half a billion dollars in taxpayer money “through no-bid government contracts to house foreign nationals who illegally entered the U.S. and were released by the Biden administration instead of being deported” reports The Center Square.
The audit evaluated the process used by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to grant no bid contracts to Endeavors and their compliance with federal law, the article explains.
The report evaluated an $86.9 million sole source contract first awarded to Endeavors earlier this year. The contract was awarded for six months to provide “temporary shelter and processing services for families who have not been expelled and are therefore placed in immigration proceedings for their removal from the United States,” The Center Square previously reported.
Months after it received its first no bid contract, Endeavors received a second $530 million contract and hired former Biden administration official Andrew Lorenzen-Straight as its senior director for migrant services and federal affairs, Axios reported.
The Center Square explains:
Sole source contracts are used when an agency can demonstrate the contract meets specific and justified criteria. If contracts don’t meet one of the criteria, they must be awarded through an open competitive process.
Endeavors has no professional history of providing housing services and has never provided beds or all-inclusive emergency family residential services, OIG auditors found. Those critical of DHS’ contract process argue the agency should be awarding contracts through an open competitive process to ensure that those bidding for funds can offer the services they claim they can provide.
Under the contract in question, for six months between March and September 2021, Endeavors was responsible for providing 1,239 beds and other necessary services in hotels. It used six hotels and repurposed them as Emergency Family Reception Sites to accommodate families staying less than three days while ICE considered conditions of release, including alternatives to detention.
The IOG made four recommendations for ICE to improve its contracting and oversight of hotel facility management and operations. “ICE concurred with one recommendation and didn’t concur with three. Based on information ICE provided in its response, the IOG said it considered one recommendation resolved and closed, and three recommendations administratively closed.”
You may like
National Security5 days ago
Whistleblower: FBI manipulating cases to create ‘illusion’ of domestic violent extremism
Podcast5 days ago
Fmr. CIA Station Chief: ‘We’re Under Siege’ on Multiple Fronts
Nation5 days ago
Driver free on bond after he admittedly killed teenager for Conservative views
Immigration6 days ago
Illegal migrants flown to Martha’s Vineyard on ‘voluntary basis’ and ‘signed wavers’ file lawsuit against DeSantis, others