During a news briefing Monday, Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has placed 8,500 troops on “heightened alert.” Kirby stated, “I want to reinforce that as of now, the decision has been made to put these units on higher alert and higher alert only. No decisions have been made to deploy forces form the United States at this time.”
Kirby is referring to a possible deployment of American military forces to Eastern Europe in order to aid our NATO allies as potential options against Russia’s threats to invade Ukraine. Conversations are underway with NATO countries that could receive American support, he added.
NBC News reports “NATO said Monday that it was sending sh9ps and fighter jets to Eastern Europe and that Washington ‘has also made clear that it is considering increasing its military presence in the eastern part of the Alliance.”
White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki told reporters Monday that President Biden plans to speak to European leaders including NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Polish President Andrzej Duda, French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Olaf Scholz and Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi by video conference.
Psaki said “we expect they will discuss diplomacy, deterrence and defense efforts” and there will “certainly” be discussion about sanctions. “We have been consulting with allies and deployments and refining plans for all scenarios” she added.
“We have always said we would reinforce our allies on the eastern flank and those conversations and discussions have certainly been part of what our national security officials have been discussing with their counterparts now for several weeks.”
NBC News reports that “among the options presented for the U.S. military in advance of an invasion were bomber fights over the region, ship visits into the Black Sea and the moving of troops and some equipment from other parts of Europe into Poland, Romania and other countries neighboring Ukraine.”
You may like
The Guardian Removes Osama bin Laden’s “Letter to America” Amidst Viral Resurfacing
The Guardian, a left-wing media outlet, has taken down Osama bin Laden’s notorious “Letter to America” from its website this week after the words of the deceased terrorist mastermind, responsible for the attacks on September 11, 2001, gained traction on social media.
The letter, which had been published on The Guardian’s website since 2002, resurfaced online, causing a sudden spike in traffic. Social media users unearthed and shared the anti-American and antisemitic content, propelling the document to viral status. The Guardian, acknowledging the increased circulation without the full context, opted to remove the transcript.
According to reports from Fox News Digital, a spokesperson for The Guardian stated, “The transcript published on our website 20 years ago has been widely shared on social media without the full context. Therefore we have decided to take it down and direct readers to the news article that originally contextualized it instead.” The outlet declined to provide additional comments on the matter.
Osama bin Laden’s letter, translated into English, justified al-Qaeda’s attacks against the U.S. by citing American actions in Palestine. The deceased terrorist accused the U.S. of supporting the creation and continuation of Israel, labeling it one of the “greatest crimes” that must be erased. Bin Laden’s letter also propagated antisemitic tropes, claiming Jews control American policies, media, and the economy.
The 9/11 attacks, orchestrated by al-Qaeda, resulted in the deaths of nearly 3,000 people and left thousands more injured. The letter’s resurgence occurred as it was shared by social media influencers on platforms like TikTok, with some expressing a change in perspective. Pro-Palestinian activist Lynette Adkins was among those who shared the letter online, prompting discussions and reflections.
The Guardian’s decision to remove the letter from its website underscores the sensitivity surrounding the content and its potential impact, particularly as young individuals across America engage with pro-Palestinian talking points. The episode has sparked debates about the influence of social media in reshaping perceptions and the responsibility of media outlets in disseminating controversial historical documents.
You may like
Israel7 days ago
As More Evidence Shows Hamas War Crimes, Biden Administration Continues to Gaslight Israel
Israel6 days ago
Menorah lightings canceled around the world as towns remove Jewish symbols over Hamas war
Elections7 days ago
Videotapes from Jan. 6 Committee Witness Interviews Vanish
Politics6 days ago
Controversial Remarks by Progressive Lawmaker Sparks Intra-Party Clash over Hamas’ Alleged Sexual Violence