Connect with us

Nation

Parler CEO ‘confident’ platform will return ‘by the end of the month’

Published

on

Screen Shot 2021 01 18 at 9.22.52 AM

Parler CEO John Matze says he believes the free-speech platform will be back up “by the end of the month,” Fox News reports.

“I’m confident that by the end of the month, we’ll be back up,” Matze told Fox Sunday night.

Parler went offline last Sunday after Google Play, Apple, and Amazon decided to no longer host the application. At the time, many conservatives were flocking to Parler after Twitter permanently banned President Donald Trump days after the deadly U.S. Capitol riot.

Since then, Parler has announced it’s suing Amazon Web Services, requesting a temporary restraining order to prevent the company from blacklisting the social media site. Moreover, Parler argues that AWS is breaching the Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890.

However, an Amazon Web Services spokesperson told SaraACarter.com last week, “There is no merit to these claims. AWS provides technology and services to customers across the political spectrum, and we respect Parler’s right to determine for itself what content it will allow.”

“However, it is clear that there is significant content on Parler that encourages and incites violence against others, and that Parler is unable or unwilling to promptly identify and remove this content, which is a violation of our terms of service. We made our concerns known to Parler over a number of weeks and during that time we saw a significant increase in this type of dangerous content, not a decrease, which led to our suspension of their services Sunday evening.” 

Matze was earlier pessimistic about the potential for his platform to return online but has since changed his outlook and expressed that in his Fox interview. He’s also been able to communicate with the public on a Parler static site.

“Despite all of this, we haven’t even had one employee quit,” Matze told Fox. “Not one, even with them being harassed and threatened, no one has quit… we’ve got such a strong team, this has just made them believe in us more.”

You may like

Continue Reading

Nation

Boston Celtics Player Legally Changing Name to ‘Enes Kanter Freedom’ to Celebrate U.S. Citizenship

Published

on

GettyImages 1343392450
Photo by Omar Rawlings/Getty Images

Boston Celtics center Enes Kanter is celebrating becoming a U.S. citizen in an incredible way. The 29-year-old athlete from Turkey is having his citizenship oath ceremony Monday, and will legally change his name to Enes Kanter Freedom.

Kanter is an outspoken human rights advocate who had his Turkish passport revoked in 2017 after he criticized Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Mediaite reports “he has also criticized NBA stars Michael Jordan and LeBron James for not doing enough to help the Black community and not speaking out against exploitative labor practices in China respectively.”

Celtics head coach Ime Udoka told the Boston Globe the team is “all for” the player’s name change. Kanter’s manager says the player will complete his legal name change to have Kanter become his middle name and Freedom be his new last name at Monday’s ceremony.

“We congratulated him as a group for getting his American citizenship last week,” Udoka said. “That’s who Enes is, we’re proud of him. Enes is who he is. He’s passionate about his stances and the name change; you look at [Ron] Artest [who changed his name to Metta Sandiford-Artest in the middle of the COVID-19 outbreak] and guys that have done it in the past. It’s something he wants to express and we’re all for it.”

Kanter has already changed his official Twitter account to Enes Kanter FREEDOM with his new last name in all caps. Freedom made waves when he tweeted the following on November 18: Money over Morals for the ‘King’. Sad & disgusting how these athletes pretend they care about social justice. They really do ‘shut up & dribble’ when Big Boss [inserted Chinese flag] says so. Did you educate yourself about the slave labor that made your shoes or is that not part of your research?”

The tweet included photos of basketball shoes he wore painted with human rights depictions and phrases such as “hey still researching and getting educated?” as well as “I am informed and educated on the situation.”

The statement is with regard to his criticism of LeBron James’ partnership with Nike. “Nike remains one of the NBA’s biggest sponsors as both organizations feed off their partnerships with China” reports Mediaite. Kanter Freedom also made an offer to take Michael Jordan and Nike co-founder Phil Knight to China in order for the men to “visit these slave labor camps and you can see it with your own eyes.”

You may like

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending Now

Advertisement

Trending