The Palestinian Authority said Thursday it will resume talks with the U.S under certain conditions. An official statement by Palestinian Authority presidential spokesman Nabil Abu Rudaineh reads, “The PLO affirms that it has never rejected any negotiations or initiatives to achieve peace based in the two-state solution.” In addition to this, the PLO highlighted that the U.S. must “declare its commitment” to an agreement that recognizes “borders of June 4, 1967, and within the framework of international legitimacy resolutions and the  Arab Peace Initiative, which considers East Jerusalem an occupied territory.”
Last month, the Trump Administration presented its long-anticipated Middle East Peace Plan at a regional summit in Bahrain. Trump’s Senior Advisor Jared Kushner revealed a large economic portion, named “Peace to Prosperity”, to support a “brighter and more prosperous future” for the Palestinian people.
“Enormous amounts of money have been wasted on corruption, munitions, and conflict in this region. Imagine if that money was invested in infrastructure, education, workforce training, and healthcare,” said kushner in bahrain.
Palestinian leadership quickly rejected the plan. PA President Mahmoud Abbas said the potential for a deal “has ended and will fail like the Manama workshop.” The Palestinian governing body ceased communications with the U.S. after President Trump recognized Israel’s capital as Jerusalem in December 2017. Trump officially relocated the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem in May 2018 and there’s no doubt it strengthened the longstanding relationship between Washington and Jerusalem.