The girlfriend of Anthony Warner, the man who detonated the devastating bomb Christmas morning in downtown Nashville, Tennessee, told police over a year ago that he “was building bombs in the RV trailer,” new documents obtained by The Tennessean reveal.
Despite this new information, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation had stated that he wasn’t on their “radar” before the bombing that killed him and injured three other people.
No motivation behind the bombing has been determined yet. The bombing, which exploded outside an AT&T switching facility, blew up a city block and left 41 buildings damaged. The FBI has been investigating whether conspiracies surrounding 5G cellular networks were involved.
The Metropolitan Nashville Police Department (MNPD) on Tuesday published an incident report and synopsis dating back to August 21, 2019 showing the department asked the FBI to perform a background check of Warner after a woman named Pamela Perry who claimed to be his girlfriend alerted police that Warner “was building bombs in the RV trailer at his residence.”
Police first got in touch with Perry when her attorney, Raymond Throckmorton III, phoned them that day detailing worries about suicidal threats she was allegedly making while she sat outside her home with firearms, the Associated Press reported, referencing an MNPD statement.
Furthermore, Warner “frequently talks about the military and making bombs,” Throckmorton told police, according to the report. The report also notes that he said he represented both Warner and Perry.
Back in August 2019, officers witnessed an RV parked in Warner’s fenced backyard but weren’t able to catch a glimpse of the vehicle’s interior when they stopped by his home in the Nashville neighborhood of Antioch, according to the report. When they knocked on the door, no one answered.
“They saw no evidence of a crime and had no authority to enter his home or fenced property,” MNPD spokesman Don Aaron told The Tennessean about how that trip to his house transpired.
Following this visit to Warner’s property, the city’s police said they warned Nashville’s Hazardous Devices Unit (HDU), a bomb squad, and requested that the FBI look into Warner’s background and see if he previously had any connections to the military.
The next day, “the FBI reported back that they checked their holdings and found no records on Warner at all,” Nashville police said Tuesday. On August 28, 2019, the U.S. Department of Defense reported that “checks on Warner were all negative,” Aaron added.
“At no time was there any evidence of a crime detected and no additional action was taken,” Nashville police also said Tuesday.
Joel Siskovic, a spokesman for the FBI in Memphis, said Wednesday that there weren’t allegations of a crime made at that time to the authorities, providing them no probable cause.
“If we were going to take action like a search warrant, we would have had to have probably cause,” Siskovic said. “We weren’t even at the stage where a crime had been alleged.”
Police and the HDU say they followed up during the week of August 26, 2019 and reached out to Throckmorton. The attorney allegedly said investigators couldn’t speak to Warner, who “did not care for the police,” or enter his property, the FBI told The Tennessean.
Throckmorton contested the authorities’ claim, saying he wasn’t working with Warner in August 2019, according to The Tennessean.
“I have no memory of that whatsoever,” Throckmorton said. “I didn’t represent him anymore. He wasn’t an active client. I’m not a criminal defense attorney.”
“Somebody, somewhere dropped the ball,” he added.
The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation on Monday published a criminal history for Warner. That report, however, only detailed a single arrest back in 1978 by Nashville police for marijuana possession.
You can follow Douglas Braff on Twitter @Douglas_P_Braff.
You may like
Historic House Vote Expels Rep. George Santos Amidst Scandal
In a turn of events, the House of Representatives made history on Friday with a vote to expel Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.), marking the first such expulsion in over two decades. A moment fraught with gravity unfolded as Speaker Mike Johnson wielded his gavel to formalize Santos’ removal, setting a precedent in congressional annals.
Santos, indicted on 23 counts related to wire fraud, identity theft, and other charges, has not faced conviction but stands accused of misusing campaign funds for opulent purchases. The bipartisan vote, tallying 311 to 114, signaled robust support for expulsion, with a marginally higher number of Republicans opting to retain Santos.
Questions loomed as Speaker Johnson left the chamber, his silence leaving the fate of the ongoing government spending battle uncertain. According to reports from Fox News, Democratic Rep. Steny Hoyer emphasized the non-partisan nature of the decision, asserting that members concluded Santos had tarnished the House’s reputation and was unfit for representation.
Within the GOP, conflicting opinions emerged, with Rep. Darrell Issa arguing against expulsion, citing the presumption of innocence. The tight-lipped stance of the House Ethics Committee played a pivotal role in the deliberations.
Conversely, members of the New York Republican delegation, led by Rep. Marc Molinaro, asserted Santos’ commission of crimes, justifying expulsion based on a comprehensive investigation.
Santos himself predicted the outcome in an exclusive morning interview on “FOX & Friends.” This vote not only underlines the House’s rare use of expulsion powers but also sets a critical precedent in handling members facing severe legal challenges.
You may like
Media7 days ago
Robert De Niro anti-Trump speech mysteriously replaced in teleprompter at Awards Show
Israel6 days ago
Israeli Military says Hamas violated ceasefire agreement by firing at IDF troops
education5 days ago
Department of Education Office of Civil Rights opens investigation into Harvard University
Nation5 days ago
GOP Weighs Formalizing Impeachment Inquiry into President Joe Biden