Connect with us

Nation

Over 60 arrested during second night of riots in Minnesota

Published

on

Screen Shot 2021 04 14 at 8.01.25 AM

Minnesota police officers arrested over 60 protesters and looters as unrest continued for a second night after the deadly shooting of 20-year-old Daunte Wright during a traffic stop in Brooklyn Center, Minn.

Arrests were made for rioting, curfew violations and other criminal behavior, Minnesota State Patrol Colonel Matt Langer said in a news conference early Wednesday morning.

“The behaviors that we continue to see are unacceptable and we are not going to tolerate them,” Langer said. “It is not acceptable and it will not be tolerated if you choose to do criminal activity and destroy property and throw objects and make it unsafe for people to come and exercise their First Amendment rights.”

Authorities fired multiple rounds of tear gas, along with rubber bullets and flash grenades to attempt to disperse the crowd.

Protestors retaliated by throwing water bottles, bricks and setting off fireworks.

“Unfortunately again, some citizens decided to come out and throw these bricks and these other items at law enforcement and this type of behavior is not acceptable and we’re just, quite frankly, not going to tolerate it,” Booker Hodges, an assistant commissioner for the Minnesota Department for Public Safety, said.

Looters broke into several businesses in the Brooklyn Center and surrounding areas, including a Dollar Tree that was completely destroyed, where flames were later spotted.

Fox News reporter Mike Tobin said many of the protestors identified themselves as Antifa.

“On Sunday night it was all about the locals that were here and they were genuine and they were angry. As it goes on, you get more people coming in from out of town,” Tobin told Laura Ingraham. “I had a lot of people – several people I spoke with tonight – who identified themselves as Antifa and angrily so.”

13 people were arrested in the surrounding city of Minneapolis, according to Minneapolis Deputy Police Chief Amelia Huffman. Four of those arrests were for burglaries related to looting, two were suspects in shots-fired incidents, six were for curfew violations and one was on an outstanding warrant, the Star Tribune reported. Five businesses, including a Target that was trashed last year after the fatal arrest of George Floyd, a liquor store and a shoe store, were targeted by looting, she said.

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1381564488474836999

Duante Wright was allegedly shot and killed by a Minnesota police officer during a traffic stop Sunday.

The officer resigned Tuesday, as well as the city’s police chief — moves that the mayor said he hoped would help heal the community and lead to reconciliation after two nights of protests and unrest.

Follow Annaliese Levy on Twitter @AnnalieseLevy

Continue Reading

Elections

BREAKING: Trump ordered to pay over $350M, barred from operating his business in NY in civil fraud case ruling

Published

on

Former President Donald Trump and his business empire faced a significant setback as a New York judge ruled against them in a civil fraud case brought by New York Attorney General Letitia James. The 92-page ruling, handed down by Judge Arthur Engoron, barred Trump from operating his business in New York for three years and imposed over $350 million in damages.

The case, which unfolded over months of trial proceedings, stemmed from allegations that Trump inflated his assets and engaged in fraudulent practices. Engoron’s ruling cited a litany of charges, including persistent fraud, falsifying records, issuing false financial statements, and conspiracy to commit fraud.

Moreover, the judge imposed restrictions on key figures within the Trump Organization, including Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump, barring them from serving in certain corporate roles in New York for a specified period.

Engoron’s scathing assessment of Trump’s testimony during the trial further undermined the former president’s credibility. The judge criticized Trump for evasive responses and irrelevant digressions, highlighting the detrimental effect on his credibility.

In response to the ruling, Trump’s attorney, Christopher Kise, lambasted the court’s decision, alleging political bias and a disregard for established legal principles. Kise argued that the evidence presented during the trial failed to support the allegations of fraud and emphasized Trump’s substantial net worth.

Kise’s assertions were echoed by Alina Habba, another attorney representing Trump, who denounced the verdict as a “manifest injustice” resulting from a politically motivated witch hunt.

Throughout the proceedings, Trump consistently dismissed the trial as politically motivated, accusing both Engoron and James of partisan bias. His legal team also criticized the absence of a jury in the trial, questioning the fairness of the proceedings.

Attorney General Letitia James, who spearheaded the lawsuit against Trump and his organization, portrayed the ruling as a victory for accountability and transparency in business practices. The lawsuit alleged fraudulent conduct and sought substantial financial penalties, a portion of which would contribute to the state treasury.

The fallout from the case extends beyond Trump and his business interests, with implications for the broader business community and the rule of law. The contentious nature of the trial and its outcome underscored deep divisions and raised questions about the integrity of the legal system.

Trump vows to appeal the decision.

Continue Reading

Trending