Connect with us

Healthcare

Orange County Sheriff Says Deputies Will Not Enforce Newsom’s Stay-At-Home Order

Published

on

Gavin Newsom California Governor

On Thursday, California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a limited stay-at-home order that would take effect on Saturday, Nov. 21 and remain in effect until Dec. 21. It would require gatherings, movement and non-essential work to stop between the hours of 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. in California counties that are in the purple tier.

Orange County is one of the state’s 41 counties in the purple tier along with Los Angeles, Ventura, Riverside and San Diego County.

The Orange County Sheriff’s Department released a statement saying that its deputies will not be enforcing Gov. Gavin Newsom’s order.

“Throughout the pandemic, the Orange County Sheriff’s Department has taken an education-first approach with regard to the public health orders. We are currently assessing the action by the Governor. At this time, due to the need to have deputies available for emergency calls for service, deputies will not be responding to requests for face-coverings or social gatherings-only enforcement,” Orange County Sheriff Don Barnes said in the statement.

Newsom came under fire recently for breaking his own COVID-19 rules after photos surfaced of him maskless at a dinner party of 12.

News of the governor’s dinner party leaked just hours after Newsom pushed state guidelines requesting people to stay home and discouraging gatherings.

Newsom explained that the social gathering took place at an “outdoor restaurant.” However, photos obtained by Fox 11 in Los Angeles showed Newsom and the other attendees dining indoors in close proximity and without their masks. 

“I made a bad mistake,” Newsom said on Monday. “I should have stood up and drove back to my house. The spirit of what I’m preaching all the time was contradicted. I need to preach and practice, not just preach.”

You may like

Continue Reading

Healthcare

NY Gov Hochul issues executive order: Polio ‘an official diisaster’

Published

on

GettyImages 1207839451

New York Democrat Governor Kathy Hochul on Friday issued an executive order that Polio is now considered an official disaster. 

“On polio, we simply cannot roll the dice,” said Dr. Mary T. Bassett, New York State Health Commissioner. “If you or your child are unvaccinated or not up-to-date with vaccinations, the risk of paralytic disease is real. I urge New Yorkers to not accept any risk at all.”

The virus that causes polio has been found in the wastewater of more than one county, according to state health officials. “A sewage sample from Nassau County collected in August tested positive for poliovirus, following the prior detection of the virus in wastewater samples in Rockland County, Orange County, Sullivan County and New York City, further indicating that the virus is spreading in the area to some degree” reports The Wall Street Journal.

“The Nassau County sample was also genetically linked to the single confirmed case of paralytic polio that had been identified this summer in a young adult resident in Rockland County who was unvaccinated.”

Hochul’s executive order has been issued through Oct. 9, and expands the network of providers able to administer polio vaccinations to “include emergency-medical-services workers, midwives and pharmacists.”

The new order makes providers send polio-immunization data to the New York State Department of Health in order to better help health officials “focus vaccination efforts on areas of low uptake.”

New York state health officials have sent out alerts to providers, have hung fliers “in houses of worship, grocery stores and summer camps and talked with community leaders about boosting vaccination rates this summer.”

The Wall Street Journal Reports:

The poliovirus spreads mostly when a person touches their mouth after coming in contact with an infected person’s feces. Most infected people don’t develop any symptoms but can still spread the virus, a major concern for health officials, and around a quarter develop flulike symptoms. Those who are vaccinated are at low risk, health officials have said, as getting three doses of the polio vaccine administered in the U.S. is at least 99% effective at preventing paralytic disease.

Health officials, however, also said that certain New Yorkers who are fully vaccinated but at high-risk should receive a single lifetime booster. That applies to individuals who will or might have close contact with a suspected or confirmed polio patient, as well as healthcare workers in those areas who might handle poliovirus samples or treat patients who might have polio…

Two forms of the virus can cause paralysis, one of them being the wild poliovirus found in nature. The case in New York, on the other hand, is caused by vaccine-derived poliovirus, a mutated form of a strain used in an oral polio vaccine…

The oral polio vaccine, used in many parts of the world outside of the U.S., relies on a weakened, live form of the virus that recently inoculated children shed in their feces. In places with lower vaccine uptake, the weakened virus can sometimes circulate and mutate to become more like the wild virus and potentially paralyze people who are not fully vaccinated.

 

You may like

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending Now

Advertisement

Trending

Proudly Made In America | © 2022 M3 Media Management, LLC