Connect with us

National Security

NYE Times Square Attack Possible Jihadist Terror Act

Published

on

NYPD medium

Federal and local authorities are investigating 19-year-old Trevor Bickford, who “allegedly attacked a group of NYPD officers outside a security screening zone in Times Square just after 10 p.m. Saturday, according to law enforcement officials.”

The Foreign Desk News reports Bickford is from Wells, Maine, and reportedly approached the officers on Manhattan’s 8th Avenue between 51st and 52nd streets armed with a machete. He swung at several officers, NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell said at an overnight press conference.

Multiple police officers working security for the New Year’s Eve bash in Times Square were wounded; Bickford “struck the officers in the head in what law enforcement is investigating as a possible targeted attack” adds Foreign Desk News.

Commissioner Sewell said that the individual dealt two of the officers blows to the head, giving an 8-year veteran a head laceration and a recent police academy graduate a skull fracture. The wounded NYPD officers were taken to Bellevue Hospital and are expected to survive.

One officer fired upon the suspect, striking him in the shoulder. Officials said the attacker’s injuries are also non-life-threatening.

A preliminary review shows the man has no previous arrests but was known to federal and local law enforcement because of past online postings.

Federal and local law enforcement officials said the man previously posted jihadist writings online and traveled to New York City to target police.

“We believe this was a sole individual at this time, there’s nothing to suggest otherwise,” said Mike Driscoll, assistant director in charge of the New York FBI Field Office.

The knife attack and gunfire startled a large line of crowds waiting to join the NYE celebrations. A local pizza shop employee said panicked revelers fled amid the chaos. Police officials have closed down the immediate area for their investigation.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Israel

Senior Saudi official says Iran ‘engineered’ war in Gaza and ‘should have been stopped a long time ago’

Published

on

GettyImages 2147785107

Although it has been widely believed, a senior Saudi Arabian official has accused Tehran of having “engineered a war in Gaza” for the purpose to interfere with Jerusalem’s attempts to normalize relations with Riyadh. The unnamed official then described the regime as “a country that sponsors terrorism, and it should have been stopped a long time ago.”

In an interview with Israel’s Kan public broadcaster, the anonymous individual said that “any suspicious object” entering his country’s airspace is intercepted by the Kingdom’s defense forces. The comment may suggest that there was some level of participation by the Saudis in neutralizing the missiles and attack drones that the Islamic Republic fired at Israel on Saturday, notes Foreign Desk News. 

Reports have confirmed that the American, British, French, and Jordanian militaries assisted the IDF in the air defenses during the bombardment.

Foreign Desk News states of the improving relations between Israel and its neighbors:

In 2020, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates, and Morocco signed normalization agreements with the Jewish state under the direction of the Trump administration, in what was called the Abraham Accords. The following January, Sudan would also join the reconciliation.

Any diplomatic understandings between Israel and Saudi Arabia would be seen as a big boost to regional security, considering the Kingdom is often viewed as the most powerful Arab-majority country in the world.

Continue Reading

Trending