Connect with us

Economy

NYC Mayor De Blasio Bans Nonessential Permitted Events Through May

Published

on

bill de blasio mayor

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced at his press briefing Friday that all nonessential permitted events throughout the city in the month of May will officially be canceled, including parades, concerts and large gatherings, even the Brooklyn Half Marathon. 

“We love those events, but what do we know about those events? It inherently means large numbers of people crowded together in a pretty small space,” said Democratic Mayor de Blasio. “That’s New York City. That’s who we are, but, guess what? That goes against everything that we need to do to fight back the coronavirus.”

“Hizzoner” continued by saying that these events will return in the future.

“We have to be smart. We love those things. We’ll miss them when we don’t have them, but they will be back. They will be back, and by knowing when it’s time to temporarily let them go so we can get to a greater goal, we’re going to actually look back and say that was the smart thing to do,” the mayor told reporters.

Mayor de Blasio said essential permitted locations, which include medical sites, hygiene stations, food stores and meal services, will remain open.

While de Blasio is keeping most of the city shuttered, he has also complained about the financial despair that this crisis has invited.

“Right now I’ve accounted for, and I’m very sorry to say this, $7.5 billion in lost revenue that we now know is going to hit this city,” de Blasio told host Fox News host Bill Hemmer on Thursday. “We are one of the capitals of this country in terms of economic power and economic impact, and you know all that we do to help the American economy be strong, but we are not going to be able provide basic services in this city because we’ve got nowhere else to turn to get that kind of money.”

De Blasio also told Fox News that July and August are the months where “we have to begin to get back to normal.”

In the meantime, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo (D) has extended the state’s coronavirus shutdown of nonessential businesses until May 15.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1251181566740619265

President Donald Trump, a New York native, slammed the Governor in a tweet Friday afternoon.

“We have given New York far more money, help and equipment than any other state, by far & these great men & women who did the job never hear you say thanks,” the President wrote. “Your numbers are not good. Less talk and more action!”

Since the coronavirus epidemic began in the United States, Gov. Cuomo has been a fixture on cable television, particularly CNN where his brother is one of the network’s primary anchors.

As of Friday morning, there are over 222,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus in New York state with at least 12,192 deaths.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Economy

Illegal migrants refuse to leave Denver encampments, make demands of city including ‘fresh, culturally appropriate’ food and free lawyers

Published

on

Screen Shot 2024 04 16 at 11.14.29 AM

A group of illegal immigrants in Denver is not only refusing to leave encampments, but also have the audacity to take no actions until the city meets its demands. The migrants were organized enough to publish a document with 13 specific demands before they “acquiesce to Denver Human Services’ request to leave the encampments and move to more permanent shelters funded by the city” reports Fox News.

Demands were made following the Denver government obtaining a petition to have the migrants moved, according to the outlet. The Denver mayor has been under pressure from the city’s ongoing migrant crisis, making headlines and receiving stiff backlash earlier this year for proposing budget cuts to the city’s government, including cuts to the city’s police force, to fund more money for dealing with the city’s migrant crisis.

The list of demands was sent to Mayor Mike Johnston and included requests for provisions of “fresh, culturally appropriate” food, no time limits on showers and free immigration lawyers, the outlet reported. Further details of the demands read, “Migrants will cook their own food with fresh, culturally appropriate ingredients provided by the City instead of premade meals – rice, chicken, flour, oil, butter, tomatoes, onions, etc… Shower access will be available without time limits & can be accessed whenever… Medical professional visits will happen regularly & referrals/connections for specialty care will be made as needed.”

The migrants also insisted they get “connection to employment support, including work permit applications for those who qualify,” as well as “Consultations for each person/family with a free immigration lawyer.” The migrants insisted that if these are not met, they will not leave their tent community.

“At the end of the day, what we do not want is families on the streets of Denver,” Jon Ewing, a spokesman for Denver Human Services, told Fox 31.

The current encampment is situated “near train tracks and under a bridge,” Fox 31 noted, adding that it has been there for the last couple of weeks.

Ewing told Fox 31 the city just wants “to get families to leave that camp and come inside,” noting its offer will give migrants “three square meals a day” and the freedom to cook.

He also said the government is willing to work with people to compromise and help them figure out what kind of assistance they qualify for.

Ultimately, Ewing said, the city wants to work with migrants to determine, “What might be something that is a feasible path for you to success that is not staying on the streets of Denver?”

Continue Reading

Trending