The House Intelligence Committee is holding its hearing (Wednesday) on the findings in Robert Mueller’s Special Counsel report. It’s been more than two years since the investigations into the FBI’s probe into President Trump’s campaign and Russia. Mueller, along with four other investigations by Congress, have found “zero” evidence that the Trump campaign “or any American” colluded with the Kremlin in the 2016 presidential elections. Still, Democrats are intent on pursuing this now debunked theory.
The witnesses for Wednesday’s hearing include Stephanie Douglas, former executive assistant director of the National Security Branch of the FBI; Robert Anderson, former executive assistant director of the National Security Branch of the FBI; and Andrew McCarthy, former assistant U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York.
Nunes Slams Dems
Ranking member of the committee and former chairman Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) laid out in his opening statements the critical problems with the investigation, the #RussiaHoax as it is now described by Republicans and analysts.
Democrats, of course, are continuing to propagate the illusion that something must of happened and target Trump in media outlets. Nunes said the American people have been subjected to a hoax perpetuated by Democrats and those in government who expected Hillary Clinton to win the election.
“Democrats on this committee regularly joined cable news pundits in denouncing the traitors. Eventually the Democrats became convinced that the Mueller report would finally rid them of the sinister president who had the audacity to defeat Hillary Clinton,” his opening statement said.
There you have it. Nunes’ statement is right on target.
“The entire scheme has now imploded and the collusion accusation has been exposed as a hoax,” Nunes added. “One would think the Democrats would simply apologize and get back to lawmaking and oversight. But it’s clear they couldn’t stop this grotesque spectacle even if they wanted to. After years of false accusations and McCarthyite smears, the collusion hoax now defines the Democratic Party. The hoax is what they have in place of a governing philosophy or a constructive vision for our country.”
“The Democrats assembled us today to analyze the shoddy political hit piece known as the Mueller report,” he said. “It’s written in the same spirit, and with the same purpose, as the Steele dossier, which was once championed by Democrats on this committee, but which they rarely mentioned after it was exposed as yet another Democrat-created hoax.”
Nunes Lists Democrats Favorite Debunked Conspiracy Theories (Below Is An Excerpt From Nunes Statement)
Unfortunately for Democrats, the Mueller dossier, as I call it, either debunked many of their favorite conspiracy theories or did not even find them worth discussing. These include:
- Mueller’s finding that Michael Cohen did not travel to Prague to conspire with Russians.
- No evidence that Carter Page conspired with Russians.
- No mention of Paul Manafort visiting Julian Assange in London.
- No mention of secret communications between a Trump Tower computer server and Russia’s Alfa Bank.
- And no mention of former NRA lawyer Cleta Mitchell or her supposed knowledge of a scheme to launder Russian money through the NRA for the Trump campaign. Insinuations against Mitchell originated with Fusion GPS chief Glenn Simpson and were first made public in a document published by Democrats on this committee.
What the Mueller Dossier Attempts To Do (Below Is An Excerpt From Nunes Statement)
The real purpose of the Mueller dossier, however, was to help Democrats impeach the president in the absence of any evidence of collusion. Thus the report includes:
- A long litany of ordinary contacts between Trump associates and Russians, as if a certain number of contacts indicate a conspiracy even if no conversations actually created or even discussed a conspiracy.
- Excerpts from a voicemail from Trump attorney John Dowd that the Mueller team selectively edited to make it seem threatening and nefarious.
- No comment on the close relationship between Democrat operatives at Fusion GPS and multiple Russians who participated in the June 9, 2016 meeting at Trump Tower. In fact, no comment on Fusion GPS at all.
- No useful information on figures who played key roles in the investigation such as Joseph Mifsud, Alexander Downer, or Christopher Steele.
- No useful information about the many irregularities that marred the FBI’s Russia investigation.