Connect with us

Elections

UPDATE: No longer functional Jan 6 House committee sentences ex-Trump advisor

Published

on

Screen Shot 2020 12 17 at 3.56.39 PM

UPDATE: Former Trump adviser Peter Navarro was sentenced to four months in prison for refusing to comply with a House January 6 Committee subpoena.

“The words executive privilege are not magical incantations,” presiding U.S. District Court Judge Amit Mehta said on Thursday. “It’s just not, it’s not a get-out-of-jail-free card.”

“I have a great deal of respect for your client and what he’s achieved professionally, I do,” Mehta noted before sentencing. “Which makes it all the more disappointing, the way he behaved.”

———

The January 6 select committee is accused of deleting more than 100 encrypted files days before Republicans took the majority. Additionally, “although the House select committee is no longer functional, its effects are still being felt” writes Just The News.

Former Trump White House trade adviser Peter Navarro will be sentenced Thursday following his conviction in September on two counts of congressional contempt after he defied a subpoena from the former House select committee that probed the Jan. 6, 2021, U.S. Capitol riot.

Prosecutors are asking federal Judge Amit Mehta to sentence Navarro, 74, to six months in prison for each charge, running concurrently, and fine him $200,000, which is $100,000 for each count, per CNN.

Both counts carry mandatory minimum sentences of one month in prison, but prosecutors said in a filing last week that the amount of time “is insufficient to account for, punish, and deter the Defendant’s criminal offense,” according to ABC News.

“The Defendant, like the rioters at the Capitol, put politics, not country, first, and stonewalled Congress’s investigation,” prosecutors also said. “The Defendant chose allegiance to former President Donald Trump over the rule of law.”

Navarro is just another example of the committee’s ‘effects’. Trump White House strategist Steve Bannon was convicted in 2022 on two counts of contempt and sentenced to four months in prison, but the sentence is suspended pending an appeal as he attempts to overturn his conviction, notes Just The News.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Elections

Feds tell Just The News ‘Georgia student’s accused killer entered U.S. illegally, was paroled under Biden policies’

Published

on

Border

The man who murdered 22 year-old Georgia nursing student Laken Riley has been confirmed as suspect Jose Ibarra, an illegal Venezuelan immigrant who was released prior to the murder under Biden administration policies.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) confirmed Sunday that the Venezuelan man was Jose Ibarra. 26 year-old Ibarra entered the U.S. illegally, was arrested by Customs and Border Protection agents on Sept. 8, 2022, after he unlawfully entered the U.S. near El Paso, Texas, but was “paroled and released for further processing,” ICE said.

Ibarra was arrested again a year later, on Sept. 14, 2023, by NYPD officers and charged with acting in a manner to injure a child under 17 and a motor vehicle license violation, ICE added, reports Just The News.

Riley was murdered near the University of Georgia campus in Athens on Friday was directly impacted by the “liberalization of immigration policies by Democrats”. Just The News adds “Federal immigration officials said the Venezuelan national was released by New York authorities before a detainer could be issued. As a so-called sanctuary city, New York generally prevents police from complying with ICE detainers.”

“The official timeline of Ibarra’s immigration record only renewed ire among Republicans demanding that President Joe Biden tighten border security and that prosecutors deliver  swift justice to Riley’s killer” writes Just The News.

Continue Reading

Trending