Connect with us

Healthcare

Michigan prosecutor dismisses over 1,600 of Whitmer’s unconstitutional COVID-19 orders

Published

on

Screenshot 2020 04 14 11.14.54

A county prosecutor in Michigan announced Monday that she will dismiss more than 1,600 ordinance violations and misdemeanor citations involving violations of Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s coronavirus emergency orders that have been determined to violate the state Constitution.

The Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office (WCPO) released a statement citing a 1945 Michigan Supreme Court ruling that determined Whitmer did not have authority to issue or renew any COVID-19 state of emergency orders after April 30, 2020.

Prior to the ruling, the WCPO and Michigan law enforcement issued ordinance violations and misdemeanors to those who allegedly violated the emergency orders.

From April to October of 2020, Michigan police enforced emergency orders by the Whitmer administration that limited social gatherings, commerce and other activity.

Whitmer’s mandates were some of the most restrictive coronavirus policies in the country.

As a result of the ruling, the WCPO conducted a review of the violations and determined there was not a legal basis to proceed with them.

“WCPO will be dismissing all adjudicated cases and all pending cases,” the statement said.

“Governor Whitmer’s leadership has prevented many of our citizens from contracting COVID-19,” Prosecutor Kym Worthy said in the statement. “However, considering the Supreme Court’s decision, WCPO will no longer use criminal prosecution to enforce the Governor’s Executive Order. It is my earnest hope that people will continue to wear face masks, social distance, and quarantine when warranted.”

Follow Annaliese Levy on Twitter @AnnalieseLevy

You may like

Continue Reading

education

FL bans puberty blockers, transgender surgery for minors

Published

on

Screen Shot 2020 07 24 at 4.10.33 PM

Breaking Friday, Florida’s Board of Medicine and state Board of Osteopathic Medicine voted to ban puberty blockers and sex-reassignment surgery for minors in the state.

“The chief point of agreement among all of the experts — and I must emphasize this — is that there is a pressing need for additional, high-quality clinical research,” said the board of medicine’s chair, Dr. David A. Diamond, a radiation oncologist.

More than 70 percent of children with gender dysphoria “typically outgrow” it, City Journal reported earlier this year.

National Review reports:

The board of medicine voted 6-3, with five others not present, on Friday to forbid doctors from prescribing puberty blockers and hormones or performing surgeries until a patient is 18. Exceptions will be made for children who are already receiving the treatment.

The Florida Board of Osteopathic Medicine also voted to ban the use of puberty blockers and sex-reassignment surgery in new patients who are minors but allowed an exception for children enrolled in clinical studies.

Florida is also one of at least nine states that prohibits Medicaid coverage of gender-transition services.

You may like

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending Now

Advertisement

Trending

Proudly Made In America | © 2022 M3 Media Management, LLC