Connect with us

Nation

Miami Border Patrol Agents report 500% increase of migrant apprehensions in fiscal 2022

Published

on

EyPX9Z2VoAElEy0

There is much discussion about the migrant chaos and crisis imposed upon U.S. border states such as Texas, Arizona and California, but Florida is also seeing its fair share of problems. Border Patrol agents in the Miami Sector have reported a 500 percent increase in apprehensions ini the fiscal year 2022.

From September 1, 2021, to October 31, 2022, agents “apprehended 2,350 foreign nationals attempting to illegally enter Florida by sea. The majority were Cubans” reports The Center Square.¬†

Chief Patrol Agent Walter Slosar said they also interdicted 131 maritime smuggling events which is a 330% increase from the previous fiscal year. The Center Square reports that apprehensions in the first three weeks of December alone are on track to break records for the Miami Sector, which are already nearly half of total apprehensions for the entire fiscal 2022.

Just this week, agents took 175 Cubans into custody within 24 hour, said Slosar. The individuals arrived in the Florida Keys and at Hollywood Beach in their makeshift boats constructed with sheets of metal and “crudely made motors.” From October 1, 2022 to December 10, 2,723 Cubans had been apprehended.

In the first three weeks of December, the Miami Sector Border Patrol agents apprehended 1,008 illegal foreign nationals, reported 20 gotaways, and recovered the bodies of 13 dead foreign nationals.

The Center Square also reports that the “Miami Sector BP agents also interdicted a human smuggling attempt earlier this month.”

“On Dec. 9, working with law enforcement partners, BP agents apprehended smugglers after encountering 13 people being brought into Florida illegally from Romania, Haiti, and Trinidad and Tobago. Homeland Security investigators from Miami are investigating the incident.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Elections

BREAKING: Trump ordered to pay over $350M, barred from operating his business in NY in civil fraud case ruling

Published

on

Former President Donald Trump and his business empire faced a significant setback as a New York judge ruled against them in a civil fraud case brought by New York Attorney General Letitia James. The 92-page ruling, handed down by Judge Arthur Engoron, barred Trump from operating his business in New York for three years and imposed over $350 million in damages.

The case, which unfolded over months of trial proceedings, stemmed from allegations that Trump inflated his assets and engaged in fraudulent practices. Engoron’s ruling cited a litany of charges, including persistent fraud, falsifying records, issuing false financial statements, and conspiracy to commit fraud.

Moreover, the judge imposed restrictions on key figures within the Trump Organization, including Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump, barring them from serving in certain corporate roles in New York for a specified period.

Engoron’s scathing assessment of Trump’s testimony during the trial further undermined the former president’s credibility. The judge criticized Trump for evasive responses and irrelevant digressions, highlighting the detrimental effect on his credibility.

In response to the ruling, Trump’s attorney, Christopher Kise, lambasted the court’s decision, alleging political bias and a disregard for established legal principles. Kise argued that the evidence presented during the trial failed to support the allegations of fraud and emphasized Trump’s substantial net worth.

Kise’s assertions were echoed by Alina Habba, another attorney representing Trump, who denounced the verdict as a “manifest injustice” resulting from a politically motivated witch hunt.

Throughout the proceedings, Trump consistently dismissed the trial as politically motivated, accusing both Engoron and James of partisan bias. His legal team also criticized the absence of a jury in the trial, questioning the fairness of the proceedings.

Attorney General Letitia James, who spearheaded the lawsuit against Trump and his organization, portrayed the ruling as a victory for accountability and transparency in business practices. The lawsuit alleged fraudulent conduct and sought substantial financial penalties, a portion of which would contribute to the state treasury.

The fallout from the case extends beyond Trump and his business interests, with implications for the broader business community and the rule of law. The contentious nature of the trial and its outcome underscored deep divisions and raised questions about the integrity of the legal system.

Trump vows to appeal the decision.

Continue Reading

Trending