Connect with us

Uncategorized

Justice Thomas acts as lone advocate for fmr. West Point cadet’s right to sue over rape allegations

Published

on

Screen Shot 2021 04 05 at 4.39.53 PM

After the Supreme Court decided not to hear the case of a former West Point cadet who wants to sue the federal government for her alleged rape on the campus, Justice Clarence Thomas wrote a dissenting opinion. Thomas, who faced past allegations of sexual assault himself, called out his colleagues on the Court Monday.

Thomas said that if the Court had taken up the case Jane Doe v. United States, they would have had the chance to “clarify the scope of the immunity we have created.”

First came the Feres v. United States case in 1950, which set a precedent that members of the military could not sue the government. It went against the Federal Torts Claim Act, which means that the government can be sued in place of individuals, especially military members, that act in the name of the United States. Because this act protects Jane Doe, by not hearing her case, the Court sets the precedent that she cannot also use it to her advantage.

But Thomas pointed out that the 1950 ruling came from a suit that happened in a time of war. He believes the precedent cannot be applied to time spent at a military academy.

“Under our precedent, if two Pentagon employees— one civilian and one a servicemember—are hit by a bus in the Pentagon parking lot and sue, it may be that only the civilian would have a chance to litigate his claim on the merits,” Thomas wrote. “Nothing in the text of the Act requires this disparate treatment.”

The longest-serving justice challenged his colleagues in his dissent. “Perhaps the Court is hesitant to take up this issue at all because it would require fiddling with a 70-year-old precedent that is demonstrably wrong,” Thomas wrote. “But if the Feres doctrine is so wrong that we cannot figure out how to rein it in, then the better answer is to bid it farewell.”

You may like

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Daily Wire investigation: Italian company may have illegally sold rights to the Vatican’s priceless art

Published

on

Screen Shot 2022 12 15 at 9.20.11 AM

The Daily Wire has been conducting a fascinating investigation into the Vatican Museum’s priceless artwork. “Rights to the Vatican Museums’ priceless trove of art treasures may have been illegally sold without the Holy See’s approval in what one attorney described as a “high-tech heist,” the investigation finds.

An Italian company is allegedly selling the rights to reproduce the Vatican artwork in six-figure deals, while claiming to be working in “collaboration with” the Vatican Museums.

“This scheme is nothing less than a pre-meditated, high-tech heist of world-class treasured art from the Vatican Museums under the disguise of bogus licenses, as if sanctioned by the Vatican,” Sarah Rose Speno, a New York attorney, told The Daily Wire.

The Daily Wire’s report notes that Speno said she stumbled upon the alleged scheme in March when she sought permission to use images of Vatican art for an exhibition by a client.

“We discovered that a large table book had been published with high-resolution images of the interiors of the Vatican, including the Sistine Chapel,” Speno said. “We very much wanted to pursue an opportunity to license these images, as soon as possible.”

Speno contacted Scripta Maneant — the Italian publisher that licensed the photos in the book. Scripta Maneant claimed authority to broker the publishing rights via its “collaboration” with Vatican Museums vice director, Monsignore Paolo Nicolini. Scripta Maneant wanted $550,000 for the rights — with a portion being paid to the Vatican through Nicolini, according to Speno. Although Scripta Maneant claimed the fee would be shared with the Vatican, Speno said she later became suspicious.

“The Scripta Maneant scheme became obvious when the Scripta principals demanded a cash wire in the amount of $82,500 no later than their return from summer holiday in late August,” Speno said. “They said that they would produce Vatican approval for our Italian Renaissance Immersive project ‘if and only if’ the fee were wired to the Scripta bank account they provided. It was at this point that grave suspicion entered my mind.”

Ultimately, Speno said, “we terminated the deal when Scripta could not provide us with documented consent by the Vatican.”

Continue Reading: Daily Wire

You may like

Continue Reading
Advertisement
-->

Trending Now

Advertisement
-->

Trending

Proudly Made In America | © 2022 M3 Media Management, LLC