New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) announced Friday that indoor dining in New York City will be terminated again as COVID-19 cases in the city’s five boroughs and the rest of the state continue to skyrocket, as well as across the whole United States.
In response to Gov. Cuomo’s order, Fox News’ Janice Dean, who has been a fierce advocate against the New York leader’s handling of the virus suggested he “donate all of the proceeds including the huge advance from your fictional ‘leadership’ book to all the restaurants you’re closing.”
Dean has fought tirelessly to expose Gov. Cuomo’s order at the start of COVID-19 that forced nursing homes to take in recovering patients with the virus. She lost loved ones as a result of that very order.
Because New York City’s number of coronavirus cases and hospitalizations have increased drastically during the past two weeks, the three-term governor stated during a virtual press conference that “[w]e’re going to close indoor dining in New York City on Monday”.
Restaurants, it should be noted, are still permitted to offer take-out, delivery, and outdoor dining options.
This announcement follows a statement from Cuomo earlier this week that, if New York City’s hospitalization rate has not stabilized, indoor dining would either be closed or reduced.
Comparatively, New York City was slower than the rest of the state in loosening its coronavirus restrictions after the initial spring months of the pandemic during which it became the United States’ deadly epicenter. While the city only allowed indoor dining to resume at 25% capacity on September 30, neighboring Long Island’s two counties, for example, began to allow indoor dining back in late June at 50% capacity.
During the previous virtual presser, Cuomo also made a point in calling on the federal government to provide economic relief to businesses affected by the pandemic and the accompanying restrictions, amidst both New York State and City finding themselves economically and fiscally devastated by the virus.
“The federal government must provide relief to bars and restaurants in this next [stimulus] package,” Cuomo urged.
This latest development from Cuomo comes as United States’ total coronavirus death toll surpasses 282,000, according to Johns Hopkins University, with its total confirmed infections climbing well past 15 million.
You can follow Douglas Braff on Twitter @Douglas_P_Braff.
You may like
Massachusetts Democrat Mayor wants to end ‘right-to-shelter’ law amidst migrant crisis
More Democrat leaders from non-border states are wising up to the immigration crisis our nation faces. Woburn mayor Scott Galvin, of the progressive state of Massachusetts, is hoping that lawmakers will overturn a 40-year-old law because the reality of being “bleeding heart liberals” is resulting in the demise of his town.
The 40-year-old “right-to-shelter” law has got to go, says mayor Galvin, because of the immense strain the thousands of migrant families are putting on the area’s residents. By Friday, there were about 150 families living in the city’s hotels, an “unsustainable” arrangement for his 40,000 constituents.
Galvin told the New York Times the right-to-shelter law, which only exists in Massachusetts, was “passed at a different time, and was not meant to cover what we’re seeing now.”
National Review reports:
Under the 1983 right-to-shelter law, Massachusetts officials are legally required to offer housing to any homeless families seeking shelter in the state. The law now covers a rising influx of migrant families, although individuals are not covered under its provisions.
“We’re going above and beyond, while some communities around us are not being impacted, and we don’t have endless capacity in our schools,” said Galvin. “The benefits that are bestowed on migrants make the state a very attractive destination, and without some changes, this challenge is not going to abate.”
Massachusetts Democrat Governor Maura Healey already declared a state of emergency on August 8th, requesting help from the federal government. On August 31, Healey activated up to 250 Massachusetts National Guard members to assist the more than 6,000 migrant families already in the state’s shelter system.
Approximately 6,300 families are living in emergency shelters and hotels across the state, up roughly 50 percent from the year prior. The cost for such accommodations for all the migrants is approximately $45 million per month, National Review reports.
You may like
War on Drugs5 days ago
Kilo of fentanyl found on children’s mats at Bronx daycare, 4 children overdosed, 1 year old boy dies
War on Drugs6 days ago
Children under 14 dying from fentanyl poisoning at ‘faster rate than any other age group’
Elections5 days ago
Eric Clapton Raises $2.2 Million for Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.’s Presidential Campaign
Podcast5 days ago
Sara’s Urgent Message: We Have A Country to Save & We Can’t Save It Without Your Help