Connect with us

Israel

Iran-backed Houthis recruiting ‘thousands’ of children after Oct 7 massacre

Published

on

IranGettyImages 1996271807 scaled

The Human Rights Watch (HRW) group announced Iran-backed Houthis have recruited “thousands of people” since the October 7 massacre against Israel. Tragically the watchdog group believes that “the vast majority of recruits” are between the ages of 13 and 25, “including at least hundreds or thousands who are younger than 18” i24News reports.

“The Houthis are exploiting the Palestinian cause to recruit more children for their domestic fight in Yemen,” said Niku Jafarnia, Yemen and Bahrain researcher at HRW. “The United Nations has verified at least 1,851 individual cases of child recruitment or use by the Houthis since 2010”, added the report.

Recruitment of children under 15 constitutes a war crime. The report cited one woman who leads a human rights-focused nongovernmental organization saying: “The Houthis make children believe that they will fight to liberate Palestine, but they end up sending them to [the front lines in] Marib and Taizz. Indeed, the Houthis’ Gaza is Marib [a Yemeni city with oil resources Houthis have repeatedly attacked].”

“The Houthis should be investing resources into providing the basic needs of children in their territories like good education, food, and water, rather than replacing their childhood with conflict.”

i24News reports that earlier in the week the Houthis attacked a cargo ship in the Red Sea that was bringing corn from Brazil to Iran, according to a report by Reuters. On the same day, a Marshall Islands-flagged, Greece-owned ship came under missile attackoff the coast of Yemen, the UK maritime agency (UKMTO) stated.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

International

U.S. considering sanctions against IDF units, Netanyahu vows to ‘fight it with all my strength’

Published

on

Screen Shot 2023 12 18 at 1.02.02 PM

According to U.S. sources who spoke with The Times of Israel , the Biden administration is contemplating sanctions for alleged “human rights violations” against not one but several Israeli military and police units.

The sources told the newspaper that they believe that the individuals responsible for making the decision on determining the law’s violations are currently investigating the conduct of IDF soldiers in Gaza.

On Sunday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that he would “fight it with all my strength” if any country attempted to sanction any of Israel’s military personnel.

The Foreign Desk reports:

The news comes as reports indicate that Secretary of State Antony Blinken is considering enforcing the Leahey Amendment against the IDF’s Netzah Yehuda Battalion, an infantry formation consisting of mostly Haredi Jews that is attached to the Kfir Brigade.

The 1997 law prohibits U.S. funding for any security, military, or police agency that is determined to not be in compliance with the State Department’s humanitarian standards.

Affected organizations are also forbidden from attending training exercises with the U.S. armed forces.

The sources told the newspaper that they believe that the individuals responsible for making the decision on determining the law’s violations are currently investigating the conduct of IDF soldiers in Gaza.

Continue Reading

Trending