Connect with us

China

Hong Kong residents fleeing by the thousands for Britain after Chinese visa crackdown

Published

on

Screenshot 2020 04 07 14.42.46

Thousands of Hong Kong residents are fleeing the semi-autonomous city for Britain as the Chinese communist party begins to refuse certain passports and travel documents and fears of repercussions for supporting pro-democracy groups increases.

British government officials are expecting around 300,000 Hong Kong residents to seek extended residency rights over the next five years in the UK, Axios reported last night.

The Chinese government announced Saturday that it would no longer accept Hong Kong residents’ British National Overseas documentation for identity or travel purposes.

Now, 7,000 have so far fled to Britain and Axios reports that many are saying it is over a fear of crackdowns on those who support pro-democracy demonstrations and movements.

The AP further reported that most do not plan to ever return to Hong Kong

Axios reported in July that when China moved to restrict BNO identification, Britain saw it as violating its 1997 agreement in which terms were agreed upon that China would leave Hong Kong as an independent political entity for 50 years after Britain returned the city.

Read the full report here.

You can follow Ben Wilson on Twitter @BenDavisWilson

You may like

Continue Reading

China

Experts Say United States Vulnerable to ‘Electromagnetic’ Attack by Chinese

Published

on

China

When Joe Biden was trying to convince Americans to vote for him to become the next President back in 2019, he belittled the concept that China is a danger to the U.S. “Come on man, China’s not a threat” said Biden.

Experts, however, continue to show just how wrong Biden has always been. Fox News reports “experts are warning that the United States is vulnerable to an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack from adversaries such as China, and that time is running out to invest in defending the country from it.”

Last week during a virtual forum hosted by the Universal Peace Federation, Peter Vincent Pry, the executive director of the Task Force on National and Homeland Security, said “that poses a real threat of possibly being able to win a war with a single blow by means of an EMP attack.”

“Moreover…they don’t envision employing an EMP by itself. It would be used in conjunction with cyberattacks and physical sabotage, and non-nuclear EMP” added Pry. Experts also warn that while an EMP attack would be “bloodless” at first, a yearlong blackout could kill roughly 90% of the American population.

Fox News reports:

The U.S. electric grid and other infrastructure – such as communications and transportation systems and water and sewer services – could all be devastated by such an attack, experts like Pry warn, noting that time is of the essence for the U.S. to defend itself.

China already possesses “super EMPs” and last summer tested a new hypersonic glide vehicle that analysts warn could deploy the EMP and cause a long-lasting blackout that would shut down key infrastructure and cripple the military’s ability to communicate.

A Pentagon report on Chinese military capabilities details how China has invested heavily in its EMP program, with a strategy that “emphasizes suppressing, degrading, disrupting or deceiving enemy electronic equipment throughout the continuum of a conflict while protecting its ability to use the cyber and electromagnetic spectrum.”

“The PLA is likely to use electronic warfare early in a conflict as a signaling mechanism to warn and deter adversary offensive action. Potential EW targets include adversary systems operating in radio, radar, microwave, infrared and optical frequency ranges, as well as adversary computer and information systems” adds the report.

You may like

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending Now

Advertisement

Trending