According to the South China Morning Post, Hong Kong has recorded 48 new coronavirus infections on Friday. It is “the biggest daily jump since testing began, as medical experts warned the influx of arrivals from overseas had raised the risk of a resurging outbreak to its highest level yet,” the paper stated.
The new cases take the city’s total number to 256, according to reports. According to a top microbiologist “Hong Kong might be on the edge of an all-out “war” against an explosion in infections.”
South China Morning Post:
The Centre for Health Protection said 36 of the latest round of infected people, aged between four and 69, had a travel history. One of the local cases is a taxi driver who had picked up passengers from the airport.
When asked whether the government should ban non-locals from entering the city, Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan, head of the centre’s communicable disease branch, said all the fresh infections were residents, except one – an Australian who had been to the United States and Portugal. He was transiting at the airport and sent to hospital after feeling unwell.
For more on this story go here