Harvey Weinstein, the disgraced former Hollywood executive, has been charged with six more counts of sexual assault in Los Angeles, the New York Times reports. In March, he was sentenced to 23 years in prison for numerous sex crimes he had committed over many decades.
These new charges relate to incidents that occurred over a decade ago, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney, Jackie Lacey. This follows Weinstein being found guilty in February of two sexual assault-related felonies in New York, being charged in April for a 2010 incident in Los Angeles, and in January for allegedly assaulting two women in Los Angeles.
For many decades as one of the most powerful figures in Hollywood, he sexually assaulted dozens of actresses and other women in the industry, often threatening to end their careers if they ever spoke out. In October 2017, women whom he had sexually assaulted began to speak out, which then triggered a tsunami of sexual assault and harassment allegations against him and hundreds of other men in the industry in what came to be known as the #MeToo movement.
The six charges stem to instances throughout the 2000s up through 2010 when he allegedly raped multiple women at a hotel in Beverly Hills. Weinstein, according to the New York Times piece, is facing “a total of four counts each of forcible rape and forcible oral copulation, two counts of sexual battery by restraint and one count of sexual penetration by use of force, involving five victims for crimes dating from 2004 to 2013.”
Currently, Weinstein is held at a prison in Western New York State. An extradition hearing is set to happen on December 11 in Buffalo, NY, with prosecutors saying that they want him extradited to California to try him for the six charges.
You can follow Douglas Braff on Twitter @Douglas_P_Braff.
You may like
Rep. Matt Gaetz Confronts Speaker McCarthy in Fiery House GOP Meeting
In a closed-door House GOP conference meeting on Thursday morning, tensions flared as Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) confronted Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), accusing him and his allies of orchestrating an online campaign against him with the help of “MAGA influencers.”
According to reports from Fox News, the exchange was marked by what was described as “fireworks.” Gaetz directly addressed McCarthy, alleging that “MAGA influencers” had been paid to attack him on social media. McCarthy promptly denied the accusation, dismissing Gaetz’s claims.
Speaker McCarthy dismissed Gaetz’s allegations, indicating that he had no intention of engaging in such activities. In the same meeting, another source revealed that McCarthy questioned Gaetz’s commitment to the GOP’s goals, pointing out that he was personally dedicating his efforts to allocate $5 million to support GOP candidates and members with the aim of strengthening their majority in the near future. McCarthy’s remark seemed to challenge Gaetz regarding his contributions toward achieving a stronger Republican majority.
In response to Gaetz’s allegations, some members of the GOP caucus expressed frustration. According to a second source, one lawmaker told Gaetz to “f— off,” while another referred to him as a “scumbag,” according to reports.
Gaetz confirmed the confrontation to reporters as he exited the meeting, explaining, “I asked him whether or not he was paying those influencers to post negative things about me online.” He also confirmed McCarthy’s response, saying, “Yeah, that is what he said.”
When asked about his feelings toward McCarthy during and after the exchange, Gaetz remarked, “My blood pressure is like 120 over 80. So I’m feeling great.”
A spokesperson for Speaker McCarthy categorically denied any involvement in the alleged online campaign, attributing it to a Democrat-backed entity. In support of this claim, Fox News Digital reportedly obtained a screenshot of a cease-and-desist email sent by McCarthy’s outside lawyer to the individuals allegedly behind the campaign.
Furthermore, the email asserted that the campaign falsely claimed to act on behalf of Speaker McCarthy and his affiliated entities and warned of legal consequences if the actions continued.
The exchange in the House GOP meeting underscores the ongoing tension between Gaetz and McCarthy. Gaetz has been threatening to force a House-wide vote on McCarthy’s speakership, alleging violations of a deal struck to secure McCarthy’s election as Speaker in January.
Under the terms of that compromise, McCarthy agreed to allow any lawmaker to trigger a vote on his removal, known as a “motion to vacate.” While Gaetz had hinted at pursuing such a motion earlier in the week, he sidestepped questions on the matter during the recent meeting with reporters.
In the midst of this contentious atmosphere, Gaetz emphasized his current focus on advancing single-subject spending bills, deflecting inquiries regarding the motion to vacate and maintaining his dedication to legislative efforts.
The confrontation between Gaetz and McCarthy underscores the complex dynamics within the Republican caucus as it navigates internal divisions and confronts ongoing challenges on Capitol Hill.
You may like
Podcast7 days ago
Sara’s Urgent Message: We Have A Country to Save & We Can’t Save It Without Your Help
Immigration3 days ago
Local TX developer accused of selling land to illegal immigrants creating entire town with ‘four cartels operating there’
Elections7 days ago
Trump, Rep Biggs: invoking the Alien Enemies Act to enable widespread deportation will ‘be necessary’
education1 day ago
Parents, advocates call on leaders to step down after ZERO children pass math at 13 Baltimore state schools