Connect with us

Nation

Gov. Cuomo to close schools in new NYC COVID-19 hotspots

Published

on

Screenshot 2020 03 10 14.31.09

Following recent outbreaks in various Brooklyn and Queens neighborhoods, Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-N.Y.) announced that schools in these ZIP codes will be closed for in-person learning starting on Tuesday, the New York Post reports.

During the same Monday press conference, Cuomo said that the state government would be intervening in the city’s handling of the virus, using city personnel to more strongly enforce virus prevention measures and violations.

While New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio had asked Cuomo on Sunday to shut down the schools, non-essential businesses, and dining at restaurants in these hot zones, Cuomo decided to only close the public and private schools in these areas for the time being.

Justifying the move, Cuomo said, “These clusters need to be attacked.”

“I would not send my child to a school in a hot-spot cluster,” the Governor added. “I am not going to recommend or allow any New York City family to send their child to a school that I wouldn’t send my child.”

Cuomo has been openly critical of New York City’s response to the latest outbreaks and of his rival, de Blasio. He has been especially critical of de Blasio’s plan for not addressing religious communities enough, particularly since many outbreaks have been coming from with areas with large Orthodox Jewish communities. The Governor said that he would meet with these leaders on Tuesday.

With regards to the enforcement of mask-wearing and social-distancing mandates, he said: “Enforcement is kind. You know why? Because enforcement saves lives. Any rule is only as good as the enforcement.”

He continued hammering his point, saying, “Too many local governments are not doing enforcement,” he continued. “Warnings are not enforcement.”

You can follow Douglas Braff on Twitter @Douglas_P_Braff.

You may like

Continue Reading

Nation

BLM co-founder used funds to pay sister, mother, brother and child’s father

Published

on

Screen Shot 2021 04 12 at 8.13.15 AM

Released tax filings show just how Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors spent the millions of dollars raised from “White guilt.” She paid roughly $970,000 to the company of her child’s father to help “produce live events” and other “creative services.”

Over $840,000 was paid to her brother, Paul Cullors, for security services. Daily Mail wrote that “leaders have attempted to justify” the expenses to her brother by saying the “foundation’s protection could not be entrusted to former police professionals who typically run security firms because the BLM movement is known for vehemently protesting law enforcement organizations.”

It was recently disclosed that she bought a $6 million mansion in L.A. for the organization, and denied she took money from BLM for personal matters, although shortly after it was unearthed that she had used the mansion for her own parties.

Cullors also reportedly “reimbursed BLM $73,523 for a charter flight for foundation-related travel, which the organization says she took in 2021 out of concern for COVID-19 and security threats.”

Cullors resigned last year from the organization due to criticism of her finances, such as purchasing multiple homes for herself that cost millions of dollars combined. She also admitted the charity was paying for “employment” of her sister, mother, and brother.

Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation Inc revealed from July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021, it ended the fiscal year with nearly $42 million in net assets. “The foundation invested $32 million in stocks from the $90 million it received as donations amid racial justice protests in 2020” adds Daily Mail.

You may like

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending Now

Advertisement

Trending

Proudly Made In America | © 2022 M3 Media Management, LLC