A group of House Republicans is asking the Defense Department to brief them on why thousands of National Guardsmen are expected to remain in D.C. until at least March, Fox News reports.
National Guard Bureau spokesman Wayne Hall confirmed to Fox News Tuesday that National Guard members will remain in the Capitol until at least mid-March.
“As we continue to work to meet the final post-inauguration requirements, the National Guard has been requested to continue supporting federal law enforcement agencies with 7,000 members and will draw down to 5,000 through mid-March,” Hall told Fox News.
Acting Army Secretary John Whitley said at a briefing Monday that the FBI has been warned of several planned protests and potential unrest in the coming weeks that will require a Guard presence in the Capital.
“We are posturing our forces to be able to respond to those threats if they emerge,” Whitley said.
Several GOP lawmakers are criticizing the decision, saying the National Guard should be used as an absolute last resort.
12 GOP lawmakers wrote a letter to Whitley requesting a briefing regarding the decision for significant troop presence in D.C. through mid-March.
“Our intention is for the briefing to cover ongoing threats to the Capitol, justification of the decision for a significant troop presence through mid-March, and plans for troop utilization during the time period,” the letter says.
“As you know better than anyone, our National Guard men and women are deployed on short notice and pulled away from their families and jobs,” the letter continues.
“Further, the Guard has endured unprecedented stress on the force in the past year given COVID-19, social unrest, natural disasters, and ongoing overseas requirements. The National Guard should be used as an option of absolute last resort.”
The letter concludes, “We are seeking clarification and justification on behalf of the National Guard men and women that have kept us safe over the past month and year. We are seeking this threat assessment briefing as soon as reasonably possible and greatly appreciate your time and attention.”
Sen. Tom Cotton agreed, saying time it’s to send the troops home.
“The National Guard soldiers who deployed to protect the Capitol this month certainly deserve such gratitude. They deployed on short notice, leaving behind their families and jobs. Despite cold weather and uncomfortable conditions, these soldiers did their duty, in the finest traditions of the Guard,” Cotton said.
“Their presence, coupled with tough federal charges against the Capitol rioters, deterred any further violence; the presidential inauguration occurred without incident.”
“With the inauguration complete and threats receding, now it’s time, yes, to send home the troops.”
You may like
FAKE COMPASSION: Sara Carter on the left’s hypocrisy over wellbeing of migrants
Sara Carter joined Fox News’ ‘The Next Revolution’ to discuss the Democrats’ fake compassion for immigrants. Carter begins discussing her trip to Martha’s Vineyard, an island flooded with yard signs with claims of “we welcome immigrants” “we stand with everyone” and more. However, when only 50 were place there, they were immediately flown away to a military base within 40 hours.
Carter then “went back to the border, to Eagle Pass” where she described it as “a graveyard of unknowns. Of people that have died crossing the Rio Grande River.” There were graves of babies and unknown John Does baby.
There was “nothing but PVC pipe to mark the graves of people that had been buried there. no one claimed their bodies, no one knew who they were” added Carter.
One horrifying piece of information is that “right now, under President Biden, there are over 750 bodies that have been claimed at the border, and growing. And that’s just of the people we know about” said Carter.
You may like
National Security5 days ago
Whistleblower: FBI manipulating cases to create ‘illusion’ of domestic violent extremism
Podcast4 days ago
Fmr. CIA Station Chief: ‘We’re Under Siege’ on Multiple Fronts
Nation5 days ago
Driver free on bond after he admittedly killed teenager for Conservative views
Immigration6 days ago
Illegal migrants flown to Martha’s Vineyard on ‘voluntary basis’ and ‘signed wavers’ file lawsuit against DeSantis, others