Connect with us

China

GOP lawmakers launch probe into US funding of Wuhan lab

Published

on

comer jordan

Ranking members of the House Oversight and Reform Committee and the House Judiciary Committee announced Friday that they will be investigating how the Wuhan Virology Institute spent taxpayer funds. The National Institute of Health awarded grants and funds in 2019.

Reps. James Comer (R-KY) and Jim Jordan (R-OH) wrote a letter to announce the probe. Their investigative scope includes the NIH, and the EcoHealth Alliance, which received the funding and subsequently awarded it to the WVI. Meanwhile, in the summer of 2020, the NIH wrote a letter to EcoHealth Alliance because of rising concern over the relationship with WVI. As a result, the NIH suspended grants. But, WVI had already received $600,000.

“There is mounting evidence the COVID-19 pandemic started in the Wuhan Institute of Virology and the Chinese Communist Party covered it up. If U.S. taxpayer money was used to develop COVID-19, conduct gain of function research, or assist in any sort of cover-up, EcoHealth Alliance must be held accountable,” the letter from Jordan and Comer read.

They add, “It is incumbent upon grant recipients to ensure their work is performed within the scope of the grant, advances our national interest, and protects our national security. It is vital to understand if U.S. taxpayer funds were at all affiliated with a pandemic that has taken the lives of nearly 600,000 Americans so we can prevent similar future catastrophes.”

In the probe, the lawmakers are asking for all communications between all three parties to sort out exactly how the WVI spent the money. They also demanded a briefing by June 4th.

You can follow Jenny Goldsberry on Twitter @jennyjournalism.

Continue Reading

China

Border Patrol Council President concerned over ‘influx’ of military-aged Chinese men crossing the southern border

Published

on

US chinese relations

According to U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data Border Patrol agents detained over 30,000 Chinese individuals for illegally crossing the border from January to November 2023, sparking concern.

Just The News reports that National Border Patrol Council President Brandon Judd on Wednesday said the United States should be incredibly concerned by the influx of military-aged Chinese men coming across the southern border.

“Why are we seeing this influx?” Judd asked on the “Just the News, No Noise” TV show. “At best, they’re just coming here for a better life or for a better job. At worse, they’re coming here to be part of the Chinese government, and that’s what scares me an awful lot.”

“We know that the Chinese have huge gangs here in the United States, and they control certain parts of our country,” he later said. “They control the drug flow. They control the prostitution. They control everything that’s illegal in certain portions of the country. We have to look into that. It’s very important that we understand why we are having so many people from China, especially military-aged men, from China.”

“I don’t want to cause mass hysteria where United States citizens are violent towards people from China,” Judd said. “However, we have to … allow the intelligence community to do their job. We’ve got to let law enforcement do their job and look into these individuals.”

Many Chinese immigrants are leaving due to economic conditions in China and its strict lockdowns, Yahoo News reported.

“Again, at best, they’re here for a better life,” Judd said. “At worst, they’re here to be part of the Chinese government to infiltrate our own country.”

Continue Reading

Trending