Connect with us

Featured

Donald Trump responds to SCOTUS decision to allow release of tax returns to Manhattan D.A.

Published

on

Trump fox news town hall may 3

Shortly following the U.S. Supreme Court’s Monday decision to not block access to former President Donald Trump‘s tax returns from the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office, Trump issued a scathing statement against the ruling.

MORE ON SCOTUS: ‘Baffling’: Justice Thomas writes forceful dissent in Pennsylvania mail-in ballot case

Trump’s accountants must provide his financial records to Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance as part of a grand jury investigation into Trump and the Trump Organization for possible tax violations, according to CNBC.

However, as CNBC pointed out: While Vance’s office can now require that Trump’s longtime accounting firm, Mazars USA, hand over the records to a New York grand jury, as NBC News noted, state law requires that grand jury proceedings—and the evidence presented in them—remain confidential.

In his statement, Trump said: “So now, for more than two years, New York City has been looking at almost every transaction I’ve ever done, including seeking tax returns which were done by among the biggest and most prestigious law and accounting firms in the U.S.”

“The Supreme Court never should have let this ‘fishing expedition’ happen, but they did,” the statement continued. “This is something which has never happened to a president before, it is all Democrat-inspired in a totally Democrat location, New York City and State, completely controlled and dominated by a heavily reported enemy of mine, Governor Andrew Cuomo.”

MORE ON GOV. CUOMO: NY dem says state legislature is ‘inching toward’ Cuomo impeachment probe

Trump also said that “[these] are attacks by Democrats willing to do anything to stop the almost 75 million people (the most votes, by far, ever gotten by a sitting president) who voted for me in the election—an election which many people, and experts, feel that I won. I agree!”

Regarding the enforcement of the subpoena, according to ABC News, the District Attorney’s office cited a prior filing: “As we have consistently made clear, we do not believe your client’s claims have merit, and we anticipate that the Supreme Court, after briefing, will deny your request for interim relief, at which point our office will be free to enforce the Mazars Subpoena, regardless of whether your client decides to continue to seek certiorari.”

The Manhattan District Attorney’s office expects to take possession of 8 years’ worth of the former president’s voluminous tax information as soon as possible, according to ABC News. The scrutiny of the documents is expected to begin within days, a source familiar with the matter reportedly told the news outlet.

Mazars reportedly told ABC News in a statement: “We are aware of the Supreme Court’s order. As we have maintained throughout this process, Mazars remains committed to fulfilling all of our professional and legal obligations. Due to our industry’s professional obligations Mazars cannot discuss any clients, or the nature of our services we provide for any client, in a public forum without client consent or as required by law.”

You can follow Douglas Braff on Twitter @Douglas_P_Braff.

You may like

Continue Reading

Featured

Biden frees Venezuelan President Maduro’s drug dealing relatives in prisoner swap

Published

on

Joe Biden

President Biden freed two of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro’s relatives Saturday in exchange for seven jailed Americans. The two nephews of Maduro’s wife Cilia Flores, had been convicted in the United States for drug dealing and sentenced to 18 years in prison, according to the BBC.

According to the report, the swap was in exchange for five American oil executives. Those Americans were “exchanged for two of Mr Maduro’s wife’s nephews, who were serving 18-year sentences in the US on drug charges,” the officials told the BBC. Maduro’s nephews were convicted under the Trump administration and the Venezuelan government claims that they were “unjustly” jailed in the United States.

In a statement from the White House Saturday, Biden said the American’s were  “wrongfully detained.”  He said the American’s  would soon be reunited with their relatives, according to reports.

“Today, we celebrate that seven families will be whole once more. To all the families who are still suffering and separated from their loved ones who are wrongfully detained – know that we remain dedicated to securing their release,” the Biden statement added.

Meanwhile, 13 Republican members of Congress sent a letter to Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, requesting more information on “the intelligence report” that alleges Maduro is emptying his prisons and allowing them to head to the United States in the caravans that crossing the porous border.

The letter states that the report warns Border Patrol agents to be on the look-out for “violent criminals from Venezuela among the migrant caravans heading towards the U.S.-Mexico border.”

“It has been widely reported that the Venezuelan regime, under the control of Nicolás Maduro Moros, is deliberately releasing violent prisoners early, including inmates convicted of ‘murder, rape, and extortion,’ and pushing them to join caravans heading to the United States,” the letter states.

You can follow Sara A. Carter on Twitter @SaraCarterDC.

You may like

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending Now

Advertisement

Trending

Proudly Made In America | © 2022 M3 Media Management, LLC