Connect with us

Politics

DeSantis proposes new measures to fight Big Tech deplatforming of political candidates, including a $100G fine

Published

on

desantis

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis detailed his latest crackdown on big tech Wednesday on “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”

DeSantis proposed three measures to protect Floridians from big tech, including a $100,000 fine for social media companies that de-platform political candidates.

DeSantis’s new proposals will benefit individual protections as well, allowing users and the Florida attorney general to sue companies if they have been treated unfairly. Additionally, DeSantis will require social media companies to provide full disclosure to their users of actions taken against their accounts for violating policies. Finally, actions taken by companies to effectively promote a political candidate will be considered campaign contributions.

“We think that this is something Floridians want protection from and I think it will end up being a really good first step,” DeSantis told Carlson. “I think most folks do want protection for their privacy and their data, I think most folks want protection from being de-platformed.”

DeSantis thinks these new measures will be positively received and may set a precedent for the rest of the country.

“When Florida leads, other states start following. So I think you will see other legislatures follow suit,” DeSantis said.

DeSantis acknowledged that he’s prepared for a “big fight” in the legislative session.

“I think it will be very positively received, but we’re buckled up. We know there are always fights over these things, so stay tuned.”

You may like

Continue Reading

Featured

Biden frees Venezuelan President Maduro’s drug dealing relatives in prisoner swap

Published

on

Joe Biden

President Biden freed two of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro’s relatives Saturday in exchange for seven jailed Americans. The two nephews of Maduro’s wife Cilia Flores, had been convicted in the United States for drug dealing and sentenced to 18 years in prison, according to the BBC.

According to the report, the swap was in exchange for five American oil executives. Those Americans were “exchanged for two of Mr Maduro’s wife’s nephews, who were serving 18-year sentences in the US on drug charges,” the officials told the BBC. Maduro’s nephews were convicted under the Trump administration and the Venezuelan government claims that they were “unjustly” jailed in the United States.

In a statement from the White House Saturday, Biden said the American’s were  “wrongfully detained.”  He said the American’s  would soon be reunited with their relatives, according to reports.

“Today, we celebrate that seven families will be whole once more. To all the families who are still suffering and separated from their loved ones who are wrongfully detained – know that we remain dedicated to securing their release,” the Biden statement added.

Meanwhile, 13 Republican members of Congress sent a letter to Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, requesting more information on “the intelligence report” that alleges Maduro is emptying his prisons and allowing them to head to the United States in the caravans that crossing the porous border.

The letter states that the report warns Border Patrol agents to be on the look-out for “violent criminals from Venezuela among the migrant caravans heading towards the U.S.-Mexico border.”

“It has been widely reported that the Venezuelan regime, under the control of Nicolás Maduro Moros, is deliberately releasing violent prisoners early, including inmates convicted of ‘murder, rape, and extortion,’ and pushing them to join caravans heading to the United States,” the letter states.

You can follow Sara A. Carter on Twitter @SaraCarterDC.

You may like

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending Now

Advertisement

Trending

Proudly Made In America | © 2022 M3 Media Management, LLC