Connect with us

Economy

Deceased likely to receive stimulus checks again under Biden $1.9T plan

Published

on

cash stimulus for coronavirus

Deceased individuals are likely to receive coronavirus relief funding again under President Biden’s new plan despite a relatively possible easy fix, says a government waste expert.

If Congress passes Biden’s $1.9 trillion stimulus plan, the same mistakes that led to nearly $1.4 billion being sent to deceased Americans last year will happen again, says president of Citizens Against Government Waste Tom Schatz.

Schatz told Just the News there is a simple fix. `

“[T]he problem that caused the money to go to these people last time has not been fixed, and it’s a relatively simple fix,” Schatz said. “The Social Security Administration has what’s called the master death file. It is not shared with the Internal Revenue Service, it is shared with other agencies, but not the one where you would really want it to be shared, which is the IRS.”

Schatz said there must be legislation to change this oversight.

“And there has been legislation to change that,” Schatz said. “Because apparently it requires a law for one agency to share information with another. And if they don’t fix that, which I do not see in this 1,000-plus page bill, they are going to once again send checks out to dead people.” 

Biden and Democrats are pushing this legislation through and hundreds of millions of dollars may end up in the wrong accounts — at a time when many Americans could use that money for struggling businesses.

“So if somebody paid taxes two years ago, or last year, and has now passed away, that check is going to show up,” he said. “And of course, there’s fraud related to that as well, people keeping the names of their deceased relatives or parents or siblings and just collecting checks, and they would qualify too, unfortunately.”

According to Schatz, unless something is changed in the legislation, this money will be lost to waste and fraud — but is this really a shock for a government run program?

You can follow Ben Wilson on Twitter @BenDavisWilson

You may like

Continue Reading

Nation

White House Confirms It Is Looking Into Shutting Down Oil Pipeline Amid Fuel Crisis

Published

on

Gas Pipeline

The Biden administration confirmed that it is considering shutting down an oil pipeline in Michigan despite the ongoing fuel crisis in the country.

“Revoking the permits for the [Line 5] pipeline that delivers oil from western Canada across Wisconsin, the Great Lakes and Michigan and into Ontario, would please environmentalists who have urged the White House to block fossil fuel infrastructure, but it would aggravate a rift with Canada and could exacerbate a spike in energy prices that Republicans are already using as a political weapon,” Politico Pro reported. “Killing a pipeline while U.S. gasoline prices are the highest in years could be political poison for Biden, who has seen his approval rating crash in recent months.”

Fox News reporter Peter Doocy asked about the report during Monday’s press briefing, asking, “why is the administration now considering shutting down the Line 5 pipeline from Canada to Michigan?”

“So, Peter, that is inaccurate,” Deputy Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre claimed. “That is not right. So, any reporting indicating that some decision has been made, again, is not accurate. … So, again, I would — it is inaccurate what you just stated, but —”

“What’s inaccurate?” Doocy asked.

“The reporting about us wanting to shut down the Line 5,” Jean-Pierre said.

“I didn’t say ‘wanting.’  I said, is it being studied right now?  Is the administration studying the impact of shutting down the Line 5?”

“Yeah. Yes, we are. We are,” Jean-Pierre admitted.

 

The news comes as gas prices have reached their highest since 2014, when Biden was vice president, and are currently about 50% higher than they were when Biden entered office.

You may like

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending Now

Advertisement

Trending