Connect with us

Nation

Cuomo accuser’s lawyer alleges Cuomo ‘interference’ in NY AG’s probe

Published

on

Screen Shot 2021 02 19 at 2.40.08 PM

A lawyer for one of New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo‘s (D) sexual harassment accusers alleged Monday that the governor’s office is interfering in the state attorney general’s independent investigation into various women’s claims against him.

In a letter to New York Attorney General Letitia James (D), the lawyer for former Cuomo aide Charlotte Bennett referenced a recent report “that the Executive Chamber is providing staffers with in-house attorneys to meet with them in advance of their investigatory interviews […] and to attend those interviews with them” and objected to the reported conduct.

“It is my understanding that these attorneys are also ‘debriefing’ staffers after their interviews with investigators,” wrote lawyer Debra Katz.

“This is highly improper and we object in the strongest possible terms to this obvious interference with what you have stated would be a ‘thorough and independent’ investigation,” Katz continued in her three-page letter.

MORE ON CUOMO: Cuomo accuser says Hillary Clinton not her ‘hero’ anymore after her response to sexual harassment claims

Furthermore, Katz wrote to James that the three-term governor’s move “will have a chilling effect on potential witnesses or other accusers” who wish to participate in the investigation but who “fear job-related retaliation if they tell the investigators about the Governor’s sexual harassing behavior and misconduct of those around him.”

“We urge to issue a directive to the Governor to cease this highly improper practice,” she added.

MORE ON CUOMO: FBI investigating if Cuomo aides lied to DOJ about nursing home deaths

Started earlier this month, the investigation is being carried out by outside lawyers headed by former acting Manhattan U.S. Attorney Joon Kim and longtime employment lawyer Anne Clark.

“We believe this offer of counsel constitutes a deliberate attempt by the Governor to interfere with your office’s investigation,” Katz also wrote.

Katz also urged James to “issue a public statement” denying a report that her office had ordered the Executive Chamber to conduct a “parallel” probe into claims that he groped an unidentified female aide in the Executive Mansion late last year.

Just last week, a current aide to Cuomo, Alyssa McGrath, publicly accused the governor of attempting to cover up the alleged groping incident by asking that accuser “specifically not to tell me” about it.

MORE ON CUOMO: Cuomo: ‘I’m not going to resign’

The 25-year-old Bennett has accused Cuomo of inquiring about her sex life, such as if she had ever slept with an older man, which gave her the impression that the governor wanted to start a sexual relationship with her. Cuomo has apologized, alleging he never meant to say anything offensive and “never knew at the time I was making anyone feel uncomfortable.”

In an interview with CBS News earlier this month, Bennett didn’t accept Cuomo’s apology. “It’s not an issue of my feelings […] It’s an issue of his actions,” Bennett said. 

“The fact is that he was sexually harassing me and he has not apologized for sexually harassing me,” she added.

You can follow Douglas Braff on Twitter @Douglas_P_Braff.

Continue Reading

Nation

DHS protects ‘privacy’ of migrants on terror watchlist

Published

on

Screen Shot 2024 03 22 at 9.09.04 AM

Fox News reporter Bill Melugin filed a Freedom of Information Act request that sought the nationalities of individuals on the terror watchlist who entered the United States illegally. No more identifying information such as their names or location were requested; nonetheless, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) responded that the right to ‘privacy’ of the migrants on the watchlist outweighs the public’s right to know.

The denial of the request occurred on the same day that at least one illegal immigrant reportedly on the terror watchlist was apprehended while attempting to infiltrate the Quantico Marine Corps base in Virginia, reports Just The News.

“The privacy interests of the individuals in the records you have requested outweigh any minimal public interest in disclosure of the information,” the department told Melugin in a letter, he wrote in a post on X. “Any private interest you may have in that information does not factor into the aforementioned balancing test.”

Melugin pushed back on the rejection in a post to social media on Thursday, defending his request for the information and claiming that most of the rejection had nothing to do with what he was asking for. He also vowed to appeal the decision.

“I did not ask for any names, IDs, addresses, anything that would breach privacy, nor did I ask for any law enforcement sensitive information,” Melugin said. “I simply requested *only* the nationalities of people arrested on the list, so the public can have an understanding of where in the world they are coming from.”

Just The News adds that the border crisis and influx of illegal migrants has resulted in at least 736 known or suspected terrorists being released into the country in fiscal year 2023. In this fiscal year, at least 210 known or suspected terrorists have been apprehended and then released into the country as of March 22.

 

Continue Reading

Trending