At least 24 people were shot across Chicago throughout the weekend, with three killed, reported The Chicago Sun-Times via ABC News 7.
One fatality was a 54-year-old man, identified as Harold Green by the Cook County medical examiner’s office, who suffered nine gunshot to the back in his neighborhood of South Shore in the early hours of Sunday, according to the report. He was pronounced dead at the University of Chicago Medical Center.
One witness, according to police, told officers that they saw a person fire bullets from inside a gray Chrysler.
Another fatality happened Saturday night, when two women in Lawndale on the West Side were shot. One of them, identified as 29-year-old Samone Hill by the medical examiner’s office, was pronounced dead at Mt. Sinai Hospital after being shot in the back and both arms, according to the report. The other woman, an unnamed 28-year-old, was hit in her lower right leg and was stabilized at the same hospital.
The third fatality was 17-year-old boy, identified as Davion Ward by police and the medical examiner’s office. Ward and two others were in a parked car Friday night in Bridgeport on the South Side, when two men pulled up in a black Dodge Durango, exited the car, and started firing at them, police said.
Ward was hit in the back and pronounced dead at Stroger Hospital, police and the medical examiner’s office said.
A 16-year-old boy sustained a graze wound to the head, while the second person, a man between 18 and 20 years old, was hit in the chest, according to police. The two were transported to the University of Chicago Medical Center in critical condition, according to the report.
For more details about the other shootings and their victims, read the full original report here.
You can follow Douglas Braff on Twitter @DouglasPBraff.
You may like
Historic House Vote Expels Rep. George Santos Amidst Scandal
In a turn of events, the House of Representatives made history on Friday with a vote to expel Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.), marking the first such expulsion in over two decades. A moment fraught with gravity unfolded as Speaker Mike Johnson wielded his gavel to formalize Santos’ removal, setting a precedent in congressional annals.
Santos, indicted on 23 counts related to wire fraud, identity theft, and other charges, has not faced conviction but stands accused of misusing campaign funds for opulent purchases. The bipartisan vote, tallying 311 to 114, signaled robust support for expulsion, with a marginally higher number of Republicans opting to retain Santos.
Questions loomed as Speaker Johnson left the chamber, his silence leaving the fate of the ongoing government spending battle uncertain. According to reports from Fox News, Democratic Rep. Steny Hoyer emphasized the non-partisan nature of the decision, asserting that members concluded Santos had tarnished the House’s reputation and was unfit for representation.
Within the GOP, conflicting opinions emerged, with Rep. Darrell Issa arguing against expulsion, citing the presumption of innocence. The tight-lipped stance of the House Ethics Committee played a pivotal role in the deliberations.
Conversely, members of the New York Republican delegation, led by Rep. Marc Molinaro, asserted Santos’ commission of crimes, justifying expulsion based on a comprehensive investigation.
Santos himself predicted the outcome in an exclusive morning interview on “FOX & Friends.” This vote not only underlines the House’s rare use of expulsion powers but also sets a critical precedent in handling members facing severe legal challenges.
You may like
Media6 days ago
Robert De Niro anti-Trump speech mysteriously replaced in teleprompter at Awards Show
Nation6 days ago
Political Gambit or Defense Strategy? Hunter Biden’s Aggressive Testimony Plans Stir Democratic Intrigue
education4 days ago
Department of Education Office of Civil Rights opens investigation into Harvard University
Nation5 days ago
Suicide rates for Americans reached record high last year