Connect with us

Nation

Cancel Culture Fail: Fundraiser to Buy Goya Products for Food Pantries Flies Past $250,000

Published

on

Screen Shot 2020 07 15 at 10.45.26 AM

In 2020 everyone and everything seems at risk of getting canceled. Old tweets may take down a politician, a distasteful text exchange can hurt a public figure — and patriotism can hurt… beans and rice?

The household staple, Goya Foods, has been in hot water with those upset about CEO Robert Unanue’s words of praise for President Donald Trump at an event at the White House last week.

“We’re all truly blessed at the same time to have a leader like President Trump, who is a builder,” Unanue said at the signing ceremony of an executive order on the White House Hispanic Prosperity Initiative — the goal is to increase access to better school and economic opportunities for Hispanic citizens.

After the comments were made at the White House, a boycott of the products, ranging from rice to sardines, was promptly declared online by the left. Trump supporters, however, formed their own plan: a “buy-cott.”

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1283370156341760001?s=20

In no time, the products were widely purchased at stores across the nation. One buyer, Casey Harper, created a Go Fund Me to purchase the products and distribute them to food pantries.

“What if we rise up to say no to cancel culture AND feed the hungry at the same time,” the original post said. Harper detailed his experience of going to a local store and spending over $200 on Goya products to donate. His fundraiser blew up.

As of July 15 — a mere three days after the crowd-funding page went live — 7,200 people have donated and over $256,000 has been raised.

Many of the donations are small, some, however, are for as much as $5,000.

“We are also planning to buy directly from GOYA because of the unexpectedly large volume,” Harper wrote in a recent update where he said he’s meeting with a Goya executive to plan the purchases. “We expect to begin purchasing as soon as possible, and will have video and pictures of the process so everyone can see the results.”

The funds will be used to purchase Goya products from both the company itself and from local grocery stores. Because of the huge response, Harper said some of the funds will be sent to food pantries outside of his area, metro Washington D.C.

To donate or learn more about the fundraiser: click here.

You may like

Continue Reading

Nation

Five returned rental cars used by Biden’s Secret Service burst into flames

Published

on

Screen Shot 2022 12 04 at 1.59.43 PM

A bizarre situation involving rental cars used during one of President Joe Biden’s trips has social media and conspiracy theorists busy with speculation.

The day after President Joe Biden left Nantucket for his Thanksgiving holiday, five Hertz rental cars hired by his Secret Service detail burst into flames in the airport parking lot.

The Nantucket Current tweeted out photos and wrote, “The cars were owned by Hertz, and had just been returned by members of the Secret Service who had been using them during President Biden’s visit, sources said.”

A fire “involving multiple rental vehicles recently used by Secret Service agents erupted early Monday morning at Nantucket Memorial Airport,” reported the Current.

According to a statement from Nantucket Memorial Airport, at 5:22 a.m. on Monday, airport staff observed an active fire through the closed circuit TV system in the rental car overflow area. Local fire and police departments responded and contained the fire.

“Something very fishy going on,” one YouTube user commented on the Nantucket Current’s video. “No freakin’ way was this a coincidence. Absolutely no way,” wrote another.

An investigation is underway. The working theory is that the fire started in a Ford Expedition, which was under a safety recall since May due to a faulty battery junction box that has been known to cause underhood fires. The recall affects 66,000 Ford Expeditions and Lincoln Navigators manufactured between December 2020 and April 2021.

“We believe these vehicle fires can be traced to a circuit board supplier that changed manufacturing locations during the height of the Covid-19 pandemic,” according to Ford’s website. “The printed circuit boards produced there are sometimes susceptible to a high-current short.”

“Of the eight fire allegations, six occurred while the vehicle was parked and off, and two occurred while driving,” says the initial March 2022 report from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the part of the Department of Transportation that investigates car safety issues. Interestingly, the eight vehicles were owned by multiple rental car companies at various locations.

By mid-May, the government had 16 reports of underhood fires in 2021 Expedition and Navigator vehicles. Of those, 14 were rental vehicles and 12 of the fires had occurred while the vehicle was parked with the engine off. Consequently, Ford has advised owners that these vehicles should be parked outdoors and away from buildings.

In an email to Forbes, Hertz confirmed that it was working with the local authorities on their investigation but did not confirm that the Explorer in question had been scheduled for service under the recall.

 

You may like

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending Now

Advertisement

Trending

Proudly Made In America | © 2022 M3 Media Management, LLC