Connect with us

Elections

BREAKING: IL judge orders state election board to remove Trump from primary ballot

Published

on

Screen Shot 2023 08 25 at 9.30.14 AM

Cook County Judge Tracie Porter issued a lengthy ruling Wednesday which orders the state election board to remove former President Donald Trump from the Illinois primary ballot on March 19. Porter wrote Trump is disqualified from the presidency due to his actions relating to the January 6, 2021 riots at the U.S. Capitol.

Porter said she was aware her “decision could not be the ultimate outcome,” given that higher courts will have a chance to weigh in; she also put her order on hold until Friday in anticipation of an appeal.

The Chicago Sun Times reports that the State Board of Elections voted unanimously last month to reject the same bid to block Trump from Illinois’ ballot under the 14th Amendment. But Porter found the board’s decision to be “clearly erroneous.”

The 14th Amendment bars from “any office, civil or military, under the United States” anyone who previously took an oath as an “officer of the United States” to support the Constitution but then engaged in “insurrection or rebellion.”

Trump’s lawyers have told the U.S. Supreme Court the amendment doesn’t apply because the president is not an “officer of the United States” under the Constitution and because he did not engage in “anything that qualifies as ‘insurrection.’”

According to the Chicago Sun Times, the “U.S. Supreme Court is poised to rule on the controversy soon — and appeared skeptical of the arguments to kick Trump off Colorado’s ballot. The clock is ticking on the nation’s high court given that Colorado’s primary election is Tuesday.” Porter also said her order would be put on hold if the Supreme court’s ruling is ultimately “inconsistent” with hers.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Elections

Information emerges on ‘conspiracy-minded former Democratic campaign staffer’ who lit himself on fire outside Trump trial

Published

on

GettyImages 2147931024 scaled

As the jury selection for former President Donald Trump’s hush-money trial was being finalized, Max Azzarello set himself on fire Friday afternoon outside the Manhattan courthouse. The event was caught on video by multiple media outlets, and police officers can be seen in the videos dousing Azzarello’s body with a fire extinguisher.

National Review reports on the bizarre occurrence:

Azzarello appears to be a conspiracy-minded former Democratic campaign staffer and operations manager who threw pamphlets into the air before self-immolating that directed bystanders to his Substack blog, “The Ponzi Papers.” Azzarello writes on his Substack of a supposed “totalitarian con” and identifies himself as the man who set himself on fire outside of the Trump courthouse.

Azzarello warns of what he believes to be cryptocurrency ponzi scheme being manipulated by economic elites, most notably tech billionaire Peter Thiel. He claims the government is a “secret kleptocracy” full of financial criminals and highlights The Simpsons as a tool supposedly used by elites to brainwash the American people.

His LinkedIn page features a picture of himself with former president Bill Clinton, a subject of his conspiracy theories, and lists his various marketing and operations positions in politics and tech.

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending