Connect with us

Nation

Biden to skip Notre Dame commencement after backlash over his abortion stance

Published

on

Screen Shot 2021 04 27 at 3.00.48 PM

President Joe Biden is skipping his previously-planned commencement address at Notre Dame – breaking with recent tradition – after fierce backlash erupted among students and alumni over his abortion policies.

President George W. Bush and Barack Obama, as well as Vice President Mike Pence, all spoke at the Catholic college in their first year in office. Joe Biden, the second Catholic President, and his failure to speak at the commencement will break this streak.

Fox News reports that over 4,300 “members of the Notre Dame community” signed a petition calling for the college to disinvite the 46th president over his long record of advocating for pro-abortion policies.

Biden gave two commencement addresses this week, one in-person to the Coast Guard Academy and one virtually to Syracuse University. The White House said Biden has a scheduling conflict.

The petition said the writers are “dismayed by the pro-abortion and anti-religious liberty agenda of President Joe Biden.”  

“He rejects Church teachings on abortion, marriage, sex and gender and is hostile to religious liberty. He embraces the most pro-abortion and anti-religious liberty public policy program in history. The case against honoring him is immeasurably stronger than it was against honoring President Obama,” it states. 

Read the full story here.

Continue Reading

Nation

DHS protects ‘privacy’ of migrants on terror watchlist

Published

on

Screen Shot 2024 03 22 at 9.09.04 AM

Fox News reporter Bill Melugin filed a Freedom of Information Act request that sought the nationalities of individuals on the terror watchlist who entered the United States illegally. No more identifying information such as their names or location were requested; nonetheless, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) responded that the right to ‘privacy’ of the migrants on the watchlist outweighs the public’s right to know.

The denial of the request occurred on the same day that at least one illegal immigrant reportedly on the terror watchlist was apprehended while attempting to infiltrate the Quantico Marine Corps base in Virginia, reports Just The News.

“The privacy interests of the individuals in the records you have requested outweigh any minimal public interest in disclosure of the information,” the department told Melugin in a letter, he wrote in a post on X. “Any private interest you may have in that information does not factor into the aforementioned balancing test.”

Melugin pushed back on the rejection in a post to social media on Thursday, defending his request for the information and claiming that most of the rejection had nothing to do with what he was asking for. He also vowed to appeal the decision.

“I did not ask for any names, IDs, addresses, anything that would breach privacy, nor did I ask for any law enforcement sensitive information,” Melugin said. “I simply requested *only* the nationalities of people arrested on the list, so the public can have an understanding of where in the world they are coming from.”

Just The News adds that the border crisis and influx of illegal migrants has resulted in at least 736 known or suspected terrorists being released into the country in fiscal year 2023. In this fiscal year, at least 210 known or suspected terrorists have been apprehended and then released into the country as of March 22.

 

Continue Reading

Trending