Connect with us

National Security

Biden to sign executive order to mitigate cyberattacks

Published

on

Screenshot 2020 04 01 13.27.39

In the wake of increased cyberattacks and state security breaches from Russia, China and North Korea,  President Biden is expected to sign an executive order Wednesday. The order is intended to place the United States in a position to “leapfrog well ahead” of adversaries and mitigate risks that the emerging technology poses to national and economic security, reports Fox News.

The executive order and security memo will gear towards advancing quantum information science. A senior administration official said the U.S. has “long been a global leader” in the development of new technologies, including quantum, a broad field of science and engineering.

“Quantum technologies are not a replacement to traditional computers, but rather a ‘fundamentally different kind of computer’ with the ability to analyze information in ways that traditional computers cannot. Quantum technologies, according to officials, have shown the potential to drive innovation in the American economy” adds Fox News.

“The goal of both the executive order and the National Strategy Memorandum is to ensure that we leapfrog well ahead of everyone else, both by promoting quantum information science and the benefits it can potentially bring from energy to medicine, in various areas of the economy, as well as to begin what will likely be a decade long transition to protect our systems from an adversary having a potential quantum computer,” said the official.

“America must start the lengthy process of updating our IT infrastructure today to protect against this quantum computing threat tomorrow.” The president’s executive order is set to “foster” those advances by committing to promoting those breakthroughs.

Fox News adds that the order will enhance the National Quantum Initiative Advisory Committee, which is the federal government’s advisory body for quantum information science and technology, by placing it under the authority of the White House.

The official says the move would ensure the president, Congress, federal departments and agencies, and the general public receive “the most current, accurate and relative quantum information, science and technology to drive forward U.S. policymaking in this area.”

You may like

Continue Reading
3 Comments

3 Comments

  1. lu mahalo

    May 5, 2022 at 5:55 pm

    A day late and a dollar short, but at least soemthing is being done.

    • lu mahalo

      May 5, 2022 at 5:56 pm

      “soemthing” sorry, I lost my head

  2. Pat Dant

    May 5, 2022 at 7:12 pm

    This will be about the fourth Executive Order stating the need to mitigate cyber-attacks. I would the check the order for trogon wording like “climate change” or “misinformation”. Seriously!

    The reality is mitigation of the SCADA systems has been ongoing but will not fully protect our systems from cyber-attack due limits in Web 2.0 Internet technology. SCADA systems also usually use a 40 year refresh cycle. Making private companies provide new products that are cyber-secure and implementing them is a multi-decade effort.

    It would have been better to announce targeting Web 3.0 to address the major weaknesses of Web 2.0 security which would have focused the efforts on new technologies and specifications.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

China

Chinese Spy Balloon: Tensions rise between the U.S. and China

Published

on

China shutterstock 1376982239

A strange object was spotted Wednesday over Billings Montana. The Pentagon confirmed Thursday that the strange object was, in fact, a Chinese spy balloon. According to a report from KPAX, a western Montana news outlet, the balloon had been on the governments radar for days.

On Friday, the Chinese government released a statement saying that the balloon spotted in Billings is a “civilian airship” that’s sole purpose is used to collect research on weather and that it had just blown off course. The balloon was not shot down by orders of the Pentagon due to the risk of falling debris injuring people on the ground.

Sara Carter, who has spoken frequently on the Chinese government’s threat and expansion to the West, stated on Twitter that the United States has failed to stop China from purchasing land near military installations, vital agricultural land, as well as, allowing Chinese linked companies, such as Huawei, to install technology in cellular towers. Those cellular towers are located in Montana, along side more than 150 ICBM nuclear silos.

China said, “The Chinese side regrets the unintended entry of the airship into U.S. airspace due to force majeure.” Majeure meaning that it was out of there control. It blew off course due to limited “self-steering” capabilities according the Ministry. The ministry also stated that the balloon, “deviated far from its planned course.”

This incident is adding fuel to the fire of what is already a tense relationship between the worlds two largest economies. China already lays claim to approximately 80% of the South China Sea, and is seeking full control over Taiwan after assuming full control of Hong Kong. China’s belt and road initiative has invested copious amounts of money into building infrastructure in other countries and uses it as economic blackmail. China’s transportation of fentanyl into Mexico is yet again another example of how they are seeking to damage the US.

Is this just a weather ballon that blew off course? US officials at the White House seem to be unconvinced and will continue to monitor the balloon, as reported.

UPDATED: Statement from the Pentagon was jaw dropping when a reporter asked if the public has a right to know about Beijing’s balloon.

“The public certainly has the ability to look up in the sky and see where the balloon is,” a DOD official responded.

 

You may like

Continue Reading
Advertisement
-->

Trending Now

Advertisement
-->

Trending

Proudly Made In America | © 2022 M3 Media Management, LLC