Connect with us

Nation

BIDEN BLOCKED: U.S. appeals court grants motion to temporarily block student loan bailout

Published

on

Joe Biden

President Biden’s student loan bailout was blocked by the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in a motion granted on Friday, according to reports.

The temporary block is a victory for Republican and conservative groups that have argued that the student loan bailout is illegal and should be stopped. The appeals court ruled in favor of six Republican-led states, which “requested that Biden’s handout plan is halted while the court works through its request for an injunction,” according to Fox News. 

The student loan plan would cancel out $20,000 in student loan debt for Pell Grant recipients in college. It would also cancel up to $10,000 for others who borrowed using federal student loans, stated Biden officials. Reports state that qualifications for the handout include having an adjusted gross income of less than $125,000 individually, and less than $250,000 if married.

The six Republican state case against Biden isn’t the only lawsuit targeting student loan bailouts. Job Creators Network Foundation (JCNF) Legal Action Fund (LAF) also filed a lawsuit to block the administration’s illegal student loan bailout earlier in the month.

The JCN lawsuit argues that “the bailout violates the Administrative Procedure Act’s notice-and-comment procedures. It features two plaintiffs who have been harmed by this arbitrary executive overreach. It calls on the court to stop this counterproductive, inflationary, and unfair action from taking effect,” states JCN, which is one of five lawsuits targeting the Biden plan.

“By shifting the burden to taxpayers, including those who didn’t go to college or paid their student loans back, colleges escape responsibility for their actions creating the student loan crisis,” said Elaine Parker, President of Job Creators Network Foundation. “They are given carte blanche to continue their ridiculous pricing. Bailing out this debt only kicks this problem down the road. By blocking this inflationary taxpayer bailout, JCN’s lawsuit can lay the groundwork to actually solve the student debt crisis by holding its college perpetrators accountable.”

You can follow Sara A. Carter on Twitter @SaraCarterDC

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Nation

DHS protects ‘privacy’ of migrants on terror watchlist

Published

on

Screen Shot 2024 03 22 at 9.09.04 AM

Fox News reporter Bill Melugin filed a Freedom of Information Act request that sought the nationalities of individuals on the terror watchlist who entered the United States illegally. No more identifying information such as their names or location were requested; nonetheless, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) responded that the right to ‘privacy’ of the migrants on the watchlist outweighs the public’s right to know.

The denial of the request occurred on the same day that at least one illegal immigrant reportedly on the terror watchlist was apprehended while attempting to infiltrate the Quantico Marine Corps base in Virginia, reports Just The News.

“The privacy interests of the individuals in the records you have requested outweigh any minimal public interest in disclosure of the information,” the department told Melugin in a letter, he wrote in a post on X. “Any private interest you may have in that information does not factor into the aforementioned balancing test.”

Melugin pushed back on the rejection in a post to social media on Thursday, defending his request for the information and claiming that most of the rejection had nothing to do with what he was asking for. He also vowed to appeal the decision.

“I did not ask for any names, IDs, addresses, anything that would breach privacy, nor did I ask for any law enforcement sensitive information,” Melugin said. “I simply requested *only* the nationalities of people arrested on the list, so the public can have an understanding of where in the world they are coming from.”

Just The News adds that the border crisis and influx of illegal migrants has resulted in at least 736 known or suspected terrorists being released into the country in fiscal year 2023. In this fiscal year, at least 210 known or suspected terrorists have been apprehended and then released into the country as of March 22.

 

Continue Reading

Trending