Connect with us

Nation

Biden admin announces initiative to assess and combat ‘domestic violent extremism’

Published

on

Screen Shot 2021 01 22 at 2.22.49 PM scaled

The administration of President Joe Biden has announced a three-pronged initiative in order to assess and combat “domestic violent extremism” (DVE) over two weeks after the storming of the U.S. Capitol by extremists that resulted in 5 deaths.

At a Friday press briefing, White House press secretary Jen Psaki unveiled the initiative, describing the first steps the administration is taking to counter DVE.

Psaki said that the deadly January 6 Capitol riot and the destruction it caused has revealed that the “rise of domestic violent extremism is a serious and growing national security threat.”

MORE ON CAPITOL RIOT: Prosecutors: ‘strong evidence’ shows Capitol rioters sought to ‘capture and assassinate’ officials

The Biden administration “is committed to developing policies and strategies based on facts, on objective and rigorous analysis, and on our respect for constitutionally protected free speech and political activities,” she added.

The first of the three broad areas the initial work on DVE will fall under is a tasking that Psaki said Biden sent earlier on Friday to the Office of the Director of National Intelligence “requesting a comprehensive threat assessment coordinated with the FBI and [Department of Homeland Security]” on DVE.

“This assessment,” Psaki continued, “will draw on the analysis from across the government and, as appropriate, nongovernmental organizations.”

She went on to explain that the administration wants “fact-based analysis” in order to help “shape policy.”

The second area will be “the building of an [National Security Council (NSC)] capability to focus on countering” DVE, Psaki said. “As a part of this, the NSC will undertake a policy review effort to determine how the government can share information better about this threat, support efforts to prevent radicalization, disrupt violent extremist networks, and more.”

While she said that there’s already important work already happening in combatting DVE, the press secretary emphasized that the government needs to “understand better [DVE’s] current extent and where there may be gaps to address, so that we can determine the best path forward.”

Lastly, the third area will be “coordinating relevant parts of the federal government to enhance and accelerate efforts to address DVE,” Psaki stated.

Furthermore, the NSC will help “focus on addressing evolving threats, radicalization, the role of social media; opportunities to improve information sharing, operational responses, and more,” she added.

You can follow Douglas Braff on Twitter @Douglas_P_Braff.

Continue Reading

Nation

Canadian-U.S. border illegal crossings up 240% over previous year

Published

on

GettyImages 1249431673 scaled

The vulnerability of the northern border of the United States is being weaponized in the war on illegal migration. 2023 saw a 240% increase of individuals apprehended from just one year prior. Not only is the border with Canada significantly longer than its border with Mexico, but its ports of entry are often understaffed while the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is forced to prioritize the southern surge.

According to recent data from U.S. Customs and Border Protection, in 2023 authorities halted over 12,000 migrants attempting illegal crossings at the Canadian border. The number is a 240% increase from the preceding year when 3,579 individuals were apprehended.

ADN America reports that approximately 70% of the illegal crossings took place along a 295-mile stretch along the northern New York, Vermont, and New Hampshire border called the Swanton Sector.

Chief patrol agent for the sector, Robert Garcia, posted on social media that the 3,100 individuals apprehended were from 55 different countries. 

Garcia wrote “the record-breaking surge of illegal entries from Canada continues in Swanton Sector” and he specifically mentioned that the arrest of 10 Bangladeshi citizens was prompted by a citizen’s report in Champlain, New York.

Surprisingly, ADN reports:

A significant number of those engaging in illegal crossings are Mexicans who exploit the opportunity to fly to Canada without a visa, also avoiding the presence of cartels in their home countries.

Experts suggest that migrants can purchase a $350 one-way plane ticket from Mexico City or Cancun to Montreal or Toronto. This route is perceived as offering a lower likelihood of being turned away compared to those crossing the southern border.

Continue Reading

Trending