Apple is allowing Parler, a free-speech social media platform, to return to the app store following changes made to how the social media network moderates content. Parler was removed from the app store in January after the Capitol insurrection.
Apple wrote a letter to Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) and Rep. Ken Buck (R-Colo.) on Monday explaining that the review team had approved of Parler’s updates and that the app is available to be downloaded again on Apple devices.
“Apple anticipates that the updated Parler app will become available immediately upon Parler releasing it,” the letter said.
On March 31, Sen. Lee and Rep. Buck wrote a letter demanding answers as to why Parler was still banned from Apple’s app store.
“Today, we received a response: Parler will be reinstated on the App Store. Huge win for free speech,” Buck said.
The letter notes that Apple’s decision to remove Parler from its app store was “an independent decision” and that Apple “did not coordinate or otherwise consult with Google or Amazon with respect to that decision.”
Parler was also removed from Google’s app stores and Amazon Web Services following the Jan. 6 insurrection.
There has been no indication that Google Play Stores will allow Parler to come back. Moreover, Parler is currently in a legal battle with Amazon, arguing that the Big Tech companies colluded to restrict Parler’s access to the market.
Follow Annaliese Levy on Twitter @AnnalieseLevy
You may like
The Tate Brothers and Associates Face Human Trafficking Charges in Romania
In a recent development, the Tate brothers, Andrew and Tristan, along with two associates, find themselves at the center of a high-profile case involving human trafficking allegations.
The charges leveled against them indicate the formation of an organized criminal group in 2021 with the intent to carry out human trafficking operations not only in Romania but also in the United States and the United Kingdom, according to the BBC.
The investigation, which led to their arrest in December last year, has culminated in an indictment filed with the Bucharest court. According to the indictment, the Tate brothers are accused of luring their victims with false promises of love and marriage. Seven individuals have been identified as alleged victims, who were later coerced and subjected to a harrowing ordeal.
Prosecutors contend that the victims were taken to locations in Ilfov county, Romania, where they faced constant surveillance, intimidation, and control. The defendants allegedly forced the victims into debt and coerced them into participating in pornographic activities, with the explicit material subsequently shared on social media platforms. Shockingly, one of the defendants is accused of raping a woman on two occasions in March 2022, further amplifying the gravity of the charges.
While the trial is not expected to commence immediately, as a Romanian judge is granted 60 days to inspect the case files, it is anticipated to be a protracted legal battle. The complexity of the case and the severity of the charges will undoubtedly result in a lengthy trial process, with several years potentially passing before a verdict is reached.
Representatives for the Tate brothers released a statement acknowledging the unsurprising nature of the news but maintaining their belief in their innocence.
As reported by the BBC, the Tate brothers media team stared, “While this news is undoubtedly predictable, we embrace the opportunity it presents to demonstrate their innocence and vindicate their reputation.”
They expressed their eagerness to present a comprehensive body of evidence meticulously collected over time, which they believe will substantiate their claims of innocence and restore their tarnished reputation.
However, it should be noted that additional charges, such as money laundering and trafficking of minors, are still under investigation. If evidence is uncovered to support these allegations, a separate indictment could be filed, further complicating the legal proceedings for the defendants.
Andrew Tate, who gained notoriety through his participation in the reality television show Big Brother, has a controversial past, having been removed from the show in 2016 following a video that appeared to depict him assaulting a woman.
Despite subsequent bans on social media platforms due to his contentious statements, he has managed to amass a following, particularly among young men, by promoting an ostentatious and hyper-masculine lifestyle.
As the case unfolds, public attention will undoubtedly be drawn to the trial, with many eagerly awaiting the outcome and hoping for justice to be served for the alleged victims. The complex web of charges and the high-profile nature of the defendants ensure that this trial will be closely monitored and scrutinized by the media and the public alike.
Follow Alexander Carter on Twitter @AlexCarterDC for more!
You may like
Podcast7 days ago
Sara’s Urgent Message: We Have A Country to Save & We Can’t Save It Without Your Help
Immigration3 days ago
Local TX developer accused of selling land to illegal immigrants creating entire town with ‘four cartels operating there’
Elections7 days ago
Trump, Rep Biggs: invoking the Alien Enemies Act to enable widespread deportation will ‘be necessary’
Nation6 days ago
Biden Administration Proposes Rule to Fortify Federal Bureaucracy Against Republican Presidency