Connect with us

Nation

Antifa sets Portland courthouse on fire

Published

on

portland
https://www.google.com/amp/s/saraacarter.com/nationwide-unrest-and-riots-drive-jewish-veterans-to-arm-themselves-and-protect-their-own/amp/

Antifa set fire to the Mark Hatfield federal courthouse in downtown Portland, OR Thursday night.

Demonstrators were protesting against police violence and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). The protest began around 8:30 p.m. outside the courthouse. Shortly after 9 p.m., images of the courthouse on fire circulated the internet.

According to a tweet by journalist Andy Ngo, people were inside the courthouse at the time of the fire.

At least one person was arrested, according to reports.

Darby Howard, 22, is facing charges of first-degree criminal mischief and resisting arrest after he allegedly resisted arrest and punched an officer in the face, according to Portland police.

Demonstrators smashed windows, burned american flags and set fire to the plywood outside of the building.

The courthouse had already been boarded up due to several protests, marches and riots since last May following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis. The building was the scene of over 120 consecutive nights of rioting by Black Lives Matter and Antifa last summer.

On Thursday night, the Portland Police Department said they were preparing for more unrest throughout the weekend.

“We are aware of events planned tomorrow and this weekend in which people plan to gather and demonstrate. Demonstration Liaison Officers (DLOs) are available to work with community members organizing these events,” the Portland police tweeted.

Portland Police Bureau Deputy Chief Chris Davis told KOIN 6, “Protest is fine, that’s not what we’re talking about. With this group, this is a small group that is bent on destroying things. And what they want is a conflict.”

Follow Annaliese Levy on Twitter @AnnalieseLevy

Continue Reading

Nation

DHS protects ‘privacy’ of migrants on terror watchlist

Published

on

Screen Shot 2024 03 22 at 9.09.04 AM

Fox News reporter Bill Melugin filed a Freedom of Information Act request that sought the nationalities of individuals on the terror watchlist who entered the United States illegally. No more identifying information such as their names or location were requested; nonetheless, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) responded that the right to ‘privacy’ of the migrants on the watchlist outweighs the public’s right to know.

The denial of the request occurred on the same day that at least one illegal immigrant reportedly on the terror watchlist was apprehended while attempting to infiltrate the Quantico Marine Corps base in Virginia, reports Just The News.

“The privacy interests of the individuals in the records you have requested outweigh any minimal public interest in disclosure of the information,” the department told Melugin in a letter, he wrote in a post on X. “Any private interest you may have in that information does not factor into the aforementioned balancing test.”

Melugin pushed back on the rejection in a post to social media on Thursday, defending his request for the information and claiming that most of the rejection had nothing to do with what he was asking for. He also vowed to appeal the decision.

“I did not ask for any names, IDs, addresses, anything that would breach privacy, nor did I ask for any law enforcement sensitive information,” Melugin said. “I simply requested *only* the nationalities of people arrested on the list, so the public can have an understanding of where in the world they are coming from.”

Just The News adds that the border crisis and influx of illegal migrants has resulted in at least 736 known or suspected terrorists being released into the country in fiscal year 2023. In this fiscal year, at least 210 known or suspected terrorists have been apprehended and then released into the country as of March 22.

 

Continue Reading

Trending