Connect with us

Nation

AG Garland warns that domestic terrorism ‘still with us’

Published

on

Screen Shot 2021 04 19 at 2.35.43 PM scaled

U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland on Monday in Oklahoma City—the site of the United States’ deadliest domestic terrorist act—warned the country that the threat of domestic terrorism is still present, following the deadly January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

In his first major speech as head of the Justice Department (DOJ), Garland told a memorial service for victims of the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing on its 26th anniversary that the country must remain on guard against such threats.

“Although many years have passed, the terror perpetrated by people like Timothy McVeigh is still with us. Just last month, the FBI warned of the ongoing and heightened threat posed by domestic violent extremists,” Garland said, according to Politico. “Those of us who were in Oklahoma City in April 1995 do not need any warning.”

Early in his career, Garland played a leading role in the DOJ’s investigation into the 1995 bombing, which killed 168 people and injured more than 680, and the prosecution of the perpetrators. During a confirmation hearing back in February, Garland said the U.S. is “facing a more dangerous period” than after the Oklahoma City bombing and vowed to crack down on violence related to white supremacists right-wing militia groups.

Although Garland didn’t mention the January 6 Capitol attack in his Monday speech, he reiterated his vow to crack down on such violence.

“The Department of Justice is pouring its resources into stopping domestic violent extremists before they can attack, prosecuting those who do and battling the spread of the kind of hate that leads to tragedies like the one we mark here today,” the attorney general said.

You can follow Douglas Braff on Twitter @DouglasPBraff.

You may like

Continue Reading

Healthcare

State officials, CDC investigating monkeypox case in Florida

Published

on

Screen Shot 2020 11 03 at 11.30.29 AM

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, along with Florida state health officials, are investigating what is believed to be a case of monkeypox. A statement from the Florida Department of Health in Broward County stated the “case is related to international travel, and the person remains isolated.”

Late Friday a New York City resident also tested positive for the virus that causes monkeypox, and is the state’s first confirmed case. On Sunday, President Joe Biden made his first public statements about the outbreaks, saying the recent spread of monkeypox in at least 12 countries are “something that everybody should be concerned about.”

Axios reports a person was confirmed positive with the virus in Massachusetts, New York and “roughly a half dozen other cases” are “being monitored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

 

You may like

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending Now

Advertisement

Trending

Proudly Made In America | © 2022 M3 Media Management, LLC