About 100 migrants–including children–have been kidnapped from the caravan making its way through Mexico to the United States. The violent Los Zetas cartel is likely behind the kidnappings.
Arturo Peimbert, the ombudsman for the human rights commission in Oaxaca told HuffPost Mexico that the group was kidnapped in the state of Puebla while trying to reach Mexico City from Veracruz.
According to the New York Post, “(Peimbert) said the federal government has put ‘strong pressure’ on transportation companies to not pick up migrants along the way — which forced them to walk through an unsafe area known as ‘the largest grave in the country, where hundreds of people have disappeared.'”
The journey towards Veracruz has been nicknamed the “route of death” because hundreds of migrants have gone missing in the region and its believed they are held for ransom by kidnappers.
Fox News reports that more 4,000 migrants arrived at Jesus Martinez stadium in Mexico City on Monday night where they slept in tents, on bleachers and under tarps before continuing their journey to the United States. The migrants will stay for a few days where they will receive advice from Mexican officials and Central American embassy workers on medical care, work permits and legal matters.
President Trump has been extremely critical of the migrant caravans and authorized thousands of troops to the border to prevent the group from illegally entering the country. Trump told reporters last week that “we’ll go up to anywhere between 10 and 15,000 military personnel on top of Border Patrol, ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) and everybody else at the border.”